
The rumors are true -- Mary Poppins does fly! And, because we were sitting in practically perfect seats on Saturday night (third row aisle on the right side of the mezzanine), she even flew right over our heads. (How's that for an incredible exit!)
And -- and! -- Bert walked upside-down on the ceiling!
I thought I would be disappointed that Dick Van Dyke couldn't play the part of the Bert, but Gavin Lee was just as fantastic as his film counterpart. And Laura Michelle Kelly was indeed practically perfect in every way as Mary Poppins. My favorite was her special way of floating up the stairs. I really ought to start doing that myself -- it might make all the stairs I have to climb on a daily basis feel like less of a chore.


Even though I've always known it to be true, it's hard to comprehend that productions on Broadway really are larger than life until you've seen one yourself. This isn't high school, folks. Or college. Or community theater. I'm not even sure that the touring productions are even as good. There's just something about seeing a Broadway show on Broadway that is, well, magical.
And speaking of magical, the stage magic alone is worth going to see, never mind the incredible sets, the jaw-dropping choreography, and the superb acting. I'm still trying to figure out all the tricks to Mary Poppins's carpet bag.
And the theater! Mary Poppins plays in the New Amsterdam Theater, one of the oldest surviving Broadway venues in New York City (it was built in 1903). It is gorgeous inside, and what is lacking in legroom is more than made up for in beautiful art nouveau architecture and design.

Perhaps because it follows both the movie script and the stories from the P. L. Travers books, some people have told me that, compared with other shows on Broadway, Mary Poppins is only mediocre at best. And while they might be right, I can't deny that I left the theater completely wowed and won over. I waited 3 1/2 years to see a show on Broadway, and while it was definitely worth the wait, I'm not about to let that much time pass by again before I see another one. I wouldn't even mind seeing this one again.
11 comments:
Oh! Love Broadway in all it's forms. When I went to NYC as a senior, my "geek" friends and I managed to squeeze 6 Broadway shows into a four days stay in the city. Needless to say, we missed some other stuff that I wish it was so great!
I've seen three shows that we saw on Broadway and then in touring companys--they're close. But not quite the same.
I'm so glad you had fun!
I've heard Mary Poppins is great. And you can't beat a family-friendly show (some of the really popular Broadway shows have some material that is less than desirable). Now I want to come fly out and see it, just so I can see Bert walk on the ceiling!
This is so similar to my experience. Even our seats were almost the same! I can't believe people told you that it was mediocre. Everyone I've talked to has loved it. I'm glad you had such a good time!
I'm so glad you loved it! This post made me remember it all over again and now I want to come out there. Do you guys have some sunshine in between the snowstorms?
I'm glad you liked it. I'm always really critical of live reenactments of Disney movies. I avoided Mary Poppins because I didn't know how anyone could match Julie Andrews. Glad to hear that it was magical even without her and Dick van Dyke.
When we were out there we saw Wicked and Les Mis. We found our Les Mis tickets online for a steal - I think we paid $64 together. That one's awesome to see in person.
Oh...the envy...
I'm so glad you got to go though! What a wonderful experience that must have been!
Sounds amazing! I'll have to squeeze in a show next time I come up to see y'all! Happy late birthday again! I'm glad you had a wonderful time.
This sounds like an amazing show! The video has me dying to see it!
We are seeing this in Orange County this summer. Probably not as good as seeing it on Broadway in NY but I am sure it will still be wonderful!
Have you seen Wicked????
What a wonderful birthday present!
jealous. simply jealous.
That sounds positively magical. I'm so glad you got to go!
Post a Comment