wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, January 4, 2010

welcome

Welcome to Lindsay & Company! I fully realize that most, if not all, of you followed me on my previous blog, but even so, a fresh start is always a good opportunity to do a little bit of reacquainting. And besides, all of you are here for the very first time, n'est-ce pas? So here's a little bit about me and the company I keep.


My name is Lindsay, and for the sake of at least a smidgen of privacy, I'm keeping my last name offline. I live in Brooklyn, New York, with my husband, Blake, and our two little boys, Garrett and Caleb. We've been here for 2 1/2 years, and while we haven't yet picked up the accent, we definitely feel like acclimated New Yorkers. We don't own a car and rely on both our feet and public transportation to get around. Luckily, we live very close to such basic amenities as the grocery store, the drug store, the laundromat, and the library.

Blake commutes each day, by subway, to his job in Manhattan, where he works as a research analyst. In his few hours of spare time, he helps me change diapers, reads the New York Times, calms tantrums in the boys, and, after long days in which I've tried to quell those same tantrums, calms my own episodes of heightened anxiety. He loves to play Wii tennis, which makes it all the more a shame that we don't own one. (Yet, a keyword which I'm sure Blake would appreciate I add.)

Garrett is 2 1/2 years old. Like most boys his age, he loves cars, trains, and airplanes. He also loves to help me in the kitchen and, when he's not there, he could watch, if I let him, five different movies a day. His current favorites are Up, 101 Dalmations, Toy Story 2, Babe, and Cars. He loves animals and wishes we had a dog, but I think would settle for Elmo. He's quite the talker, and can carry on some of the most endearing conversations (his "thank you, Mom," "ow, that hurts," and "ooh, that's hot!" are among my favorite of his phrases). But because most of what he says comes out as unintelligible babbling, we've signed him up for speech therapy through Early Intervention.

Caleb is 4 months old and is the sweetest, most pleasant little boy this side of Long Island -- so long as he's current on his reflux medication. He loves sucking on his fingers and any toys he happens to bring up to his mouth with his knuckle-whitening death grip. He never refuses a meal, and weighs a whopping 18 1/2 pounds because of it. He had his first taste of solid food a few days ago and there will be no going back for him, no sirree.

I, as you likely know, love to write. I also love to read and and soak in the good writing of other people. I'm almost always up for a new recipe, so long as it calls for ingredients that are not too exotic, and requires no more effort than I can reasonably give it with Garrett helping me in the kitchen. The same thing goes for crafty projects, with the addition that it must fall within the realm of my limited talent and is also not too messy because I really like my house to be clean. I'm currently serving in my ward as the Primary President, a calling which I both love and have a very hard time with, though usually not simultaneously.

So this is us. I hope I've left you wanting more because if you continue to follow this blog (and you know I'd love for you to continue following this blog), you're likely going to get it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Hey! I'm the first to comment on your new blog! I love your header; it's adorable. It'll be fun to follow this new blog!

AmyJane said...

This seems to be a common theme....heading for simpler times this year. You could always just follow my model. With my second child my blog posts got about twice as many days between and about twice as many typos from lack of editing/editing whilst nursing a baby or playing a game with the other hand. :)
Anyway, I hear you. Hope you can find the right balance. Good luck!

Dave said...

I'm here. Thanks for keeping the photos!

Ashley Thalman said...

Thanks for the heads up on the new blog at the new location. I somehow dropped you on my Google Reader (how?!) so I am glad to be back in touch.