wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, January 25, 2010

number 28

I had a birthday over the weekend -- on Saturday the 23rd, to be precise. (I love the date of my birthday...1-2-3.) With the exception of the fact that I was on the tail end of a yucky cold and a cough that I just can't seem to kick, I had a really nice day. My boys took very good care of me. Here are a few highlights of the celebrations.

- Blake gave me a gift card to Fishs Eddy, which is only the most awesome store in this city. I could go crazy in that place. And if that wasn't enough, he sent me off by myself to go redeem it. With it I picked up some floral juice glasses, a Coney Island bowl, and a stack of colorful plates I found on clearance to add to my collection. I didn't have enough for it on this trip, but you can bet your buttons that I'll be back again soon to get myself a Manhattan Blue Plate Special because, really, how could anyone not want that plate?

- A subway ride is required to get to Fishs Eddy, and I got to enjoy it without my children. Which means I got to start reading The Unbearable Lightness of Scones, Alexander McCall Smith's latest installment in the 44 Scotland Street series. It is absolutely delightful and, if it's even possible, more hilarious that the previous books.

- In the late afternoon, Blake whisked me off for an early dinner date. He'd hired one of the Young Women in our ward to watch the boys (this was the first time we'd left them in the care of a teenager we weren't related to, and from the sounds of things, everything went well enough for us to want to try it again sometime) while we ate at a Greek-influenced diner in the neighborhood. The food, unfortunately, was not fantastic, but the fact that we were actually out on a date surely was.

- Blake made me a birthday cake and in the evening we had a little party. I blew out all of my candles, and then Garrett took a turn and did the same. Caleb, who, as you know, was celebrating his fifth month of life, enjoyed his first taste of ice cream, which he loved.

- Aside from the trip to Fishs Eddy, I got a few other lovely, very thoughtful gifts. One from my mom was especially awesome. When I was little I had a book called Caroline and Her Kettle Named Maud perpetually checked out from the school library. I loved it. And now I own a copy. I couldn't be happier. And, as if to further validate my ownership of this particular copy, there's an old library stamp on one of the opening pages that says "Jan 23, 1952."

Thirty years premature, but a good day nonetheless. A very good day indeed.

9 comments:

Kristi said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. Happy birthday!

heath said...

Sounds like an awesome day. And your birthday really is a cool number. Way to go!

goddessdivine said...

Happy birthday!! Sounds like it was wonderful.

Unknown said...

happy birthday!

Amy F. P. said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay! It sounds like it was a great day.

lori said...

Sounds wonderful (and well deserved!)!!
Happy Brithday!! (I love Garrett having a turn to blow out the candles!!)

Carrie said...

What a great Birthday (aside from being sick and all). You have such a cute family!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Hope you had a lovely day!

GR82BAMOM said...

Great that you were well enough to enjoy your birthday without being sick. So not fun to be sick on your birthday.