wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Saturday, October 6, 2012

tradition

This morning, before we settled into our semi-annual General Conference traditions, we drove around Borough Park to observe the Jewish sukkahs that are traditionally built for the celebration of Sukkot. The sukkahs, which are small tent-like structures, are built outside their homes (or, in Brooklyn, on their teeny-tiny balconies) to commemorate the time the Israelites spent wandering in the wilderness after their exodus from Egypt. It is a place for Jewish families to eat, sometimes sleep, and spend time together as they reflect on the abundance God has bestowed upon them. It was absolutely fascinating to see.



Afterwards, at home, we pulled out the General Conference bingo cards, booted up the live streaming on lds.org, and rearranged the living room to allow us all to face the computer.



Just as Sukkot is a joyous occasion celebrated by the Jews, General Conference is also time to rejoice as we listen to latter-day prophets and apostles talk of Christ and His glorious gospel. It's a weekend of traditions that I look forward to (particularly the one where Blake takes little boys with him to the session he's assigned to attend, as a member of the bishopric, at the chapel, leaving me at home to listen without interruption). So far the messages have been uplifting and exactly what I've needed to hear (ahem -- "Let us resolve to be happy, regardless of our circumstance."), and I look forward to being fed more as the weekend continues.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I think the only thing I heard today was that be happy quote. I have such a hard time hearing that right now. It's not like I try to dwell on being unhappy. It just seems to come all too easily these days. One day at a time...or sometimes one hour at a time.