wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, October 1, 2012

rachael ray

About two weeks ago, my friend, Melanie, invited me to tag along as her guest to a taping of the Rachael Ray show. When I first agreed to go (and by "agreed," I really mean "jumped enthusiastically at the opportunity") I didn't realize that I'd be accompanying a minor star of that particular episode. Melanie had been asked to film and submit a Viewer Tip video which would be aired during one of that day's segments. As such, we were both treated like minor royalty: we didn't have to wait in the [very long] line outside in the rain but were instead escorted to a hip little dressing room where a bowl of the most delicious fruit was waiting for us to consume.




While we waited backstage, Melanie was hooked up to a microphone (in case Rachael wanted to discuss anything from her video) and sent to hair and make-up, and then we and the four other women waiting in the dressing room with us (two more tipsters and their guests) were given the run-down of what to expect during filming. This particular episode was a "Potluck Party." Everyone in the audience had been asked to bring a potluck dish (Melanie brought Seven Layer Dip, served in individual portions in plastic cups, which was what she demonstrated in her Viewer Tip video; I didn't get the memo, and so didn't bring anything, but Melanie, sweet thing that she is, was happy to share). We would be seated at tables on the set and allowed to eat the food we brought.

The rest of the audience had already been seated by the time we were brought out from backstage, so filming began shortly after we were settled in place. Not only was this episode a Potluck Party, but it was the wrapping up of her Mini Muffin Tin Week, so all the food she made was either some sort of potluck/appetizer dish and/or made using a mini muffin tin. The stuffed baguettes she made with guest Sunny Anderson looked especially tasty. The other guest was former New Kid on the Block and current star of the show Blue Bloods, Donnie Wahlberg. He was a pretty funny guy. His answer to the question "What is the craziest thing you've done to get a girl's attention?" was particularly hilarious: he joined a boy band. He treated the entire audience to a copy of the second season of Blue Bloods, which, even though I've never watched that show, was actually pretty exciting to get because this was the season that Melanie and another lady in my ward were extras (and got pretty good screen time) in. So now I can finally watch those episodes!

Melanie's Viewer Tip video was played at the beginning of the second segment. She did so great! After they showed it, Rachael waved to Melanie and enthusiastically told her how awesome the idea was. After her bit was over, we both got to relax, enjoy the rest of the show, and, during the breaks, share potluck food with our audience neighbors (they made some really great stuff!). All nervousness of being on camera aside, this really was the best show to be on. I mean, what's better than free food? At one point they even brought out this incredible macaroni and cheese dish for everyone to try. I will probably never make it myself, but wow, it was delicious.


Rachael was as energetic and pleasant in real life as she appears on TV. At one point, during a break, a member of the crew was trying to mime some instructions to her, which she didn't understand. After a few attempts to make sense of what he was saying, she finally told him to, "Use your words!" That got a good laugh out of the audience, particularly those of us who are young mothers and find ourselves repeating this same phrase over and over to our children. In addition to Donnie's DVD gift, Rachael gave us all a "lasagna lugger," which ultimately turned out to be a $40 gift certificate to anything from her store. I can't for the life of me figure out what I want (because I don't want or need a lasagna lugger), so if you have any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

The episode aired on Friday. Melanie came over and we watched it together. She looked as fantastic on TV (and on the still photo that was highlighted on the website) as she did when I sat next to her in the audience. Even though we were sitting next to each other at the same table, I didn't get as much screen time as she did -- which was fine with me! I didn't want to be on camera much. Towards the end of the episode, though, during a panoramic shot of the our side of the audience, I was caught on screen clapping for a bit. Melanie captured it on camera as we watched it from my couch while our boys gobbled up popcorn.


There we are, right in the center.



What a fun experience! And now I can check "be in the Rachael Ray audience" off my NYC bucket list. Thanks, Melanie, for letting me tag along!

4 comments:

heath said...

How fun is that! Way to get the VIP treatment!

tappingflamingo said...

How fun!!!!!!!!!! Wished I'd known about it, I would have taped it. I watch Rachel almost every afternoon. Not this past Friday, though, I was out of town.

goddessdivine said...

Oh my gosh, how fun!! Seriously, what a once in a lifetime experience. So glad you got to do that.

MOMster said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad you were able to go! That's a great memory!