Tuesday, October 9, 2012
matthew, the messy eater
In case his cheeks didn't already clue you in, Matthew really likes to eat. With the exception of avocado, he has devoured everything he's tried. Apples, bananas, strawberries, plums, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, and a variety of whole-grain cereals -- he loves them all. Which is wonderful. In this regard, he's my best eater yet.
But the combination of his thumb-sucking habit, the way he grabs at everything near him, his almost rabid need to help stuff every spoonful I offer into his mouth, and, thanks to his infant muscle spasms, his impreciseness in doing so, makes him another thing: my messiest eater yet. Every bite is a race to see who will reach his mouth first -- me with the spoon or Matthew with his thumbs. Usually he wins, forcing me to either pry his hand away or poke around with the spoon until I find a weak spot where I can enter. Before each meal I have to strip him down to a diaper just to save his clothes, I drape his chair in an old towel to keep it from getting stained, and even with the use of a bib, he usually needs a bath after he eats because he's so covered with food.
Between our tiny kitchen and two older brothers with their own messes and eating issues, every meal at our house is an adventure, and a messy one at that. But at least everyone is eating, so I'll take it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
He's a cutie! These are your very own "hunger games" (as far as the race to his mouth). Love ya.
He is so cute. And he does look like an enthusiastic eater, which is great. I'm thinking of you today while making crockpot applesauce. I'm using your recipe. :)
What a cutie!
Post a Comment