wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

halloween, post-frankenstorm

Sandy has passed, and we are well. As proof, I offer photos of our Halloween celebrations. Honestly, I'm surprised the holiday continued as it normally does in our neighborhood, considering the circumstances, but that, I suppose, is itself proof of the remarkable resiliency of New Yorkers in the face of catastrophe.

This afternoon we walked with a group of friends from the ward through one of the business districts in our neighborhood trick-or-treating at the storefronts. Perhaps it was because we all desperately needed to get out the apartments we'd been cooped up in, or maybe it was the general feeling of irrepressibility that filled the air, but this year ranks as one of the best Halloweens I've had with my children. First of all, trick-or-treating in Brooklyn, as I'm sure I've mentioned in the past, is awesome. There's not much that beats the camaraderie of poking into the businesses you normally frequent, with not only your costumed children, but your friend's and neighbor's as well, collecting candy.

This year Garrett and Caleb dressed as dragons. I made their costumes by strategically sewing felt to a hoodie sweatshirt as well as sewing a separate tail piece. Matthew reprised Garrett's first Halloween costume and went as a baby carrot.











I will write about Sandy and how we weathered it soon, but for now happy Halloween!

6 comments:

MOMster said...

Glad you weathered out that storm! Golly, it sounds terrible from what I've heard on and read in the news. Sheesh! Your kiddos sure look adorable in their costumes. Happy Halloween!

AmyJane said...

Those Dino's are CUTE! Clever idea...simple and adorable!

Glad you are safe and sound and somewhat back to real life.

Erin said...

Cute costumes!

They postponed trick-or-treating here until November 9th. Still too many downed trees and power lines!

lori said...

So glad you enjoyed a happy holiday and that you're safe!! I've been anxious to hear how you fared during the storm! Your boys were darling dragons!!

Sarah said...

Cute costumes, Lindsay. So glad you guys were safe...we were thinking about you.

Joshua said...

too bad we missed the trick-or-treating train. :) But don't worry, Joshua, Charles and I filled our bag on third. We even passed the same tweety-bird dog! - Erica