wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

to move, or not to move

Sometimes I just want to run away from here, from Brooklyn, from crowded, dirty, urban life. Don't get me wrong -- Brooklyn is a thrilling and unique place to live, and I've enjoyed myself here, but it's also a physically and mentally exhausting place to live and the last four years are really starting to wear on me. I don't have what it takes, let alone the desire, to stay here forever. But for a variety of reasons, including Blake's job, his calling as bishop, and the fear of losing all we've gained in IEP services for Garrett if we crossed state lines prematurely, we can't leave just yet.

We can't leave, but perhaps we could make our situation here a little more comfortable. Our lease is up at the end of July, and the question of finding a new apartment in the neighborhood has been debated back and forth for the last several months. A place with more space, more accessible laundry facilities, fewer stairs or maybe even an elevator would not be unwelcome, especially after a winter as hard as the one we just finished, as well as last month's encounter with mice.

But lately the pull to stay put has been particularly strong. For one, despite all of its quirks and flaws (including the mice, which, thankfully, we've had no sign of since the exterminator's visit), we really do love our apartment as well as where it's located. We've looked semi-seriously at potential new apartments but I find that, in a city filled with ancient (or at least pre-war) apartments with odd layouts, signs of roach infestations, and penny-pinching landlords, that is a rather depressing endeavor. There is just so little available that 1) meet our basic needs and standards, and 2) are priced at something we can afford.

Our current landlord, assuming that we'd absolutely want to leave after the mice incident, offered, in an effort to entice us to stay, to renew our lease with no increase in rent. For the space we have, we're already getting a steal, so that's a proposition that's hard to pass up. Also, when you calculate the costs of moving, even just within the neighborhood, it gets pretty expensive pretty fast (think increased rent, security deposit, the fees for a real estate broker, a moving truck, and the inevitable expenses of getting settled into a new place, which, though small, add up quickly). Why move if the space and amenities you'd acquire do not justify the cost of doing so?

And then, acting as the cherry on top, there is a new laundromat going in right around the corner -- a distance that would be fairly similar to hauling our loads down to a basement laundry were we to live in a larger building, minus the elevator, and which would sure beat our current distance of three blocks.

Our current space is small, but, should it become necessary, we could fit another person here. Or at least sleep another person. How comfortable we'd all be is debatable, but you do what you have to I guess.

So to move, or not to move? That is the question.

Or, it was the question. The decision has since been made. And by now you can probably guess what our choice was.

We're not going anywhere, at least not yet.

Because it would be a fraction of the cost of moving, and because for my sake it desperately needed to be done, we've begun the process of making our current apartment more comfortable and, well, liveable. On Friday we made a big trip to Ikea, and we spent Saturday assembling and arranging new furniture (the Hemnes line for the livingroom, and Trofast in the boy's room) to replace old pieces we'd outgrown. Aside from a recurring Ikea-induced headache and a few furniture-related bruises (yeah, I'm the one who helped Blake get all the new stuff up and the old stuff down two flights of narrow stairs), things are coming together nicely. We're not finished yet (a real piano stand to replace the free x-stand that came with our purchase is on its way, pictures have not yet been rearranged on the walls, and we've got our eye on a small desk for our bedroom), but I'm already loving the way everything is taking shape. It's nice to finally be able to follow the adage "a place for everything, everything in its place." Perhaps when things are a little more put together, I'll post some pictures.


To move, or not to move, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler to save a little money
And suck up the inconveniences of living in
A place we really are kind of fond of,
Or to take arms against the whole situation
And get the heck out of Dodge. To think, to sleep on it,
To debate the issue some more. Ay, there's the rub:
For in that sleep what dreams may come,
Of when we've shuffled off this urban life,
Must give us pause...


Sigh. Someday I will get to raise my family in the suburbs (and I will totally ROCK this motherhood gig when I do), but for now it'll be this little apartment in Brooklyn. And, for now anyway, I am okay with that.

11 comments:

Whitney said...

This is making me nervous for when our lease is up and I start to look for somewhere else to live. I know for sure we are going to have to move if we want to expand our family. And I'm holding out hope that we're gonna find an amazing apartment for not that much more than we are paying now. A girl can dream, right?

Erin said...

You are reading my mind! For multiple reasons, I've been looking for a new place for over a year. But we also have a steal of a deal and even though our place has major issues we just can't find anything better.

I very frequently ask Spencer when we'll get to be "grown-ups". But for now, this is our life.

Here's to hoping that we'll both be able to escape New York sometime in our near future and enjoy the expansive (not to mention NEW) square footage it provides!

Eric said...

Good to see we're not the only ones consoling ourselves into staying put. Maybe we'll have to buy ourselves a new picture frame for the wall!

Lyndsie Miles said...

Lindsay, you know you rock the motherhood thing no matter where you are. =) Hold tight! IKEA will help until that time comes.

Emily said...

Just want to say "ditto" to Lynz. You rock.

Desmama said...

Yes, you'd rock the motherhood gig no matter where you were. :)

Sara said...

You ROCK the motherhood gig NOW. Seriously. There are days when I wish I were more like you...not even kidding!

Carrie said...

I agree that you rock mommyhood now! I'm glad that you are happy with the new furniture and the new layout. Sometimes that's all a place needs... a little pick me up ;) Here's hoping that you get what you want in your future of homes, neighborhood, and price.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Good for you! I need a good example of a positive attitude right now, so thanks :)

Kelly said...

Sometimes, it is definitely the wisest and most prudently thing to do...to do absolutely nothing. You are paying the price now. But you are laying a strong foundation for all of your future endeavors. And thank heavens for IKEA.

GR82BAMOM said...

I can help you look for something around my little neck of the woods. ;) It's got the suburban feel you are looking for, fresh air and trees, too, great parks, the best school district in NYC. The commute into the city is not too bad either (Express buses and or LIRR). You would need a car though, to get to Church, shopping, etc. :)

Seriously, though, I get it. Even me, the native NYker. I know it's tough for all you guys that are from out west. I do feel for you! Life's different here. NYC is different. Remember that life brought you here for various reasons, so don't lose heart. Chin up, Lindsay. You are doing great!

Please do come visit us and spend the day, weekend, whatever!