wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, March 18, 2011

the boys this week (returns!)

I'm not sure why I abandoned my Boys This Week series. It's not like I stopped snapping photos of them. But at any rate, it's back (though I can't promise I will consistently post one every week), and the boys are much bigger, busier, and sillier than before.


When Garrett was down with pinkeye and spending more time than usual in his bed resting, he discovered that one way to pass the time was to hang his blankets and stuffed animals from the rafters of the top bunk. He was so proud of his work.


Here they are at the baby playground in Washington Square Park. Caleb couldn't get enough of the rocking animals, and Garrett made a few new friends, who spent most of their time together running in circles chasing each other.


While browsing one day in Broadway Panhandler, we found a child sized chef's hat that we couldn't resist. Back at home, Garrett was excited to once again reprise his role as Linguine as he reenacted scenes from Ratatouille. (On the left, Remy sits on his head; on the right, Remy is covered by the hat.)




And speaking of reenacting Pixar movie scenes, here is Garrett giving us his rendition of the tractor tipping segment from Cars. I love how he's picked up on all the subtle nuances and actions of the characters.


One afternoon, when it was time to head outside, I told the boys to get ready to go. Caleb dashed off to his bedroom to retrieve his blanket and dolly, then waited patiently for me by the front door. I don't normally allow the boys to bring toys with them on outings and errands, but Caleb was adamant. Also, how can anyone resist a face like that? So I gave in. Once in the stroller he added his two fingers to the equation and he was ready to go.


We made sugar cookies this week. Both boys took the work involved very seriously.


I call this one "Babies Taking Care of Babies." For some reason both boys really wanted me to swaddle their dolls in their blue blankets so they could hold and rock them. They also took this task very seriously. Garrett kept saying that his baby was "like Chloe," his newborn cousin who he is excited to meet; Caleb kept bouncing up and down in an effort to rock his, and bending down to give it kisses. It was pretty much the most tender moment all week.


And speaking of their fascination with babies... We went over to help Emily get Elizabeth and the triplets to playgroup. When we walked in Lucy and Eddie were having some tummy time on the floor. Both boys, but particularly Caleb, immediately went over and started playing with them. Garrett played "Here's Where the Cat Sits," while Caleb just went straight for the tickle. It was awesome, and everyone had a great time.


Caleb cannot be convinced that he is a little too big for the bumbo chair. Here he is in it (after dragging it out to the living room from its hiding spot under his bed) reading a book by the afternoon sunlight.

9 comments:

mcampbell said...

You have such charming boys. I'd like to play with them. :)

Mandy said...

how sweet. they are growing up just as quick as mine. sometimes that is good, and sometimes i get a bit sad to see them so big.

Eric said...

I love the pictures! You'll have to tell me what you use to combine pictures like that. They look great!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture that Caleb and Garrett are holding the toy baby. They are holding so good. I'm still not good at holding Takumi. He seems not comfortable. ;)

I read your blogs a couple before.
I've never interested in to read the blog in English, but yours, I just read again and again to understand and to want to know what you wrote.
I want my English to improve as your English.

Carrie said...

I love your boy's faces! They are so full of joy and life!

Wendy said...

Such cute,sweet boys!

Lyndsie Miles said...

They are growing so fast! I really enjoyed this catch-up!

Jolynn said...

I really like the day to day blog posts. It is hard to remember the day to day things that we do, but I love to look back and see the little things that the kids are doing.

heath said...

Caleb's hair is seriously awesome. And I love that your boys can play with baby dolls sweetly, yet still love their very boyish activities. Seems like you're doing some things right Miss.