wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, March 3, 2011

the little prince

The fact that Garrett is 3 1/2 is becoming more and more apparent. He has lately become incredibly opinionated, strong-willed, and independent, with a voice to compound it. His handle on his emotions is as up-and-down and fast-moving as a roller coaster: one minute he'll be openly defiant, the next sweet and sincerely grateful. Dealing with him in this state can be simultaneously frustrating and wildly hilarious, and it's hard not to yell at him to snap out of it while laughing at his behavior. Take yesterday's several successive and mildly explosive sheep incidents.

Garrett's first-ever homework assignment -- to make a three-dimensional farm animal -- was due last Monday. He chose to make a sheep using a styrofoam cup, black pipe cleaners, and cotton balls. It came back home in his book-bag yesterday. When he pulled it out, he noticed a small crack on the underside of the cup near the sheep's legs. He was immediately and overwhelmingly distressed.

GARRETT: Oh no! It broke! We need fix it!

ME: Oh, I can fix that. I'll go get some tape.

GARRETT: [yelling] No! Not tape! That not working! Turn face! We need glue!

ME: Trust me, it will work. I'll fix it.

Despite his yelling and protestations, I fix the sheep with a small piece of tape anyway.

ME: See? All fixed.

GARRETT: (smiling and laughing with relief) Oh wow, thank you, Mom! Thank you! It's fixed! It's all better!


A few minutes later I was trying to get the boys ready to go outside. It took Garrett more convincing than usual (even though he loves to be outside, the lure of his inside toys is often stronger and he defiantly tells me, "No! I no go outside. I stay here!"), but eventually he was in his coat and waiting by the front door to leave. He was holding his mended sheep.

ME: Garrett, we need to leave the sheep inside so it doesn't get broken again.

GARRETT: [determined] No! Sheep go outside! He needs to eating grass!

ME: But Garrett, if you take him outside, he might get broken again and then you'd be so sad.

GARRETT: [yelling] No! He need grass! No talk a you!

ME: Okay, I have an idea.

I begin to pull out a sheet of paper and a green crayon. Garrett stops me.

GARRETT: [yelling] No, Mom! That's my picture! Stop it, Mom!

ME: Actually, it's mine. Just watch.

Despite Garrett's attempts to pull the paper away and the crayon out of my hand, I'm able to scribble green all over the page.

ME: Look, Garrett. It's grass. [I set the sheep on top of the paper.] Now your sheep can stay safely inside AND eat grass.

GARRETT: (suddenly and very truly amazed) Oh wow, Mom! Thank you! Thank you, Mom! It's great!


And then we went outside and the whole episode was pretty nearly forgotten.

Sometimes I want to tell my sheep-loving little prince to stop acting like a 3-year-old. But then I remember that that's exactly what he is.

Garrett's mended sheep eating his grass.

7 comments:

Whitney said...

Ah, Le Petite Prince. Brings back memories of high school French class. Great idea with the green crayon! The sheep looks quite content.

Carrie said...

Great idea for the grass by the way. I get so frustrated with Eli's changing emotions! Thanks for giving me a good example to follow :)

Katie said...

Haha! Oh man. The things that are so incredibly important to our little ones ... My kids often respond to my chastisement with, "But Mom, that's what kids DO" or "Mom, I'm just a kid." It's easy to forget!

Amy said...

This sounds exactly like a scene from my house. The "don't talk to me" thing can really get on my nerves. Good thing eventually we will be able to say "don't act like a three year old," right? :)

Kristi said...

Wow, good job diffusing the sheep problems! Making a field for him to stay on was brilliant.

heath said...

Oh my, those conversations. What a funny little boy. I sometimes feel like him though--I'm determined to get my way, to suddenly be shown that there was a better solution all along. Glad you're so quick on your feet--better to provide a solution than to debate endlessly with a determined 3-year old.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

:)