wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

belgian waffles

Blake spends his Tuesday evenings at the church meeting with members of the ward. He goes there straight from work, so we don't usually see him until late. On nights like these I make easy, kid-friendly dinners that I know my boys will eat -- macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, pancakes, and the like. Tonight we ate Belgian waffles. This was the second time this month that I've made them for a Tuesday night dinner, which should be a good clue to you that they are pretty darn tasty.

I clipped the recipe from the Winter 2011 issue of the BYU alumni magazine. I'll admit, I only skimmed the article, but I zeroed in on the recipe. "Yes!" I thought when I spotted it. "An easy recipe for Belgian waffles! Sign me up!" Despite the fact that it features egg-white-whipping and buttermilk (a product which up until recently I didn't regularly keep stocked in my kitchen; it, like sour cream, has suddenly become an ingredient I can always find a use for), it really is simple and quick to throw together.

Since I know that not all of you are BYU alumni and therefore don't receive the alumni magazine (and even if you do, you might have missed this particular article), I'll share the recipe here. Feel free to make these for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. They are really, really good.

Kelsey's Belgian Waffles


1 cup buttermilk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 egg whites

Preheat waffle iron.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolks, vanilla, and butter until thoroughly combined. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the buttermilk mixture.

In another bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Fold into the batter.

Spoon waffle batter on to the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Serve with fresh whipped cream and fresh fruit. Yields 4 servings.


And speaking of BYU alumni, it's a pretty good time to be one. Now that they are in the NCAA tournament (sweet sixteen, baby!) and games are being broadcast on a channel my over-the-air television antenna can pick up, I have finally been able to secure my ticket on the Fredette Express. And what an awesome ride it is! Go Jimmer! And go BYU!


3 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Pike said...

mr. pike loves beligian waffles -- we'll have to try this recipe. joe also likes adding a little cornmeal to his batter so the waffles stay crunchy.

Unknown said...

We may have to play with this to make it gluten-free.

Also, just a heads up since the BYU game Thursday is on TBS. You can watch it for free online through the NCAA site. (Doug was quite excited that he would still be able to watch it.)

Carrie said...

Love Belgium waffles! I'm excited to try this recipe.

GO BYU!!!