wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, March 10, 2011

piecing the puzzle

Sometimes even the most ordinary, unassuming days can quickly go sour. On Tuesday, for instance, I woke up early and washed, folded, ironed, and put away my weekly loads of laundry, just as I do every Tuesday morning. I got the boys ready for the day, and put Garrett on the school bus. After I saw him off, Caleb and I boarded a train bound for Atlantic Terminal to run a few errands. Everything so far that day had been perfectly normal.

But the winds changed direction on the elevator ride back up to street level when the woman I was riding with didn't hear me say thank you after she held the door open and made a hurtful point of telling me how impolite she thought I was. A few minutes later, just as I'd begun my shopping, I received a phone call from the school nurse, who told me that Garrett had developed a high fever and that I needed to come pick him up. I abandoned my errands, turned myself around, checked Garrett out of school, and, because his eyes had grown gunky and irritated, took him to the doctor. The diagnosis, pinkeye; the eye drops, too torturous, and consequently impossible, to successfully administer. The rest of the day was obsessively, and exhaustively, spent washing hands, disinfecting, and doing everything I could to prevent the spread of conjunctivitis to the rest of the family, especially Caleb.

By the time Blake came home in the late evening, I was spent. I'd managed to get the boys to bed, and then all but crashed on the couch. No doubt following some inspired prompting, Blake took a good, long look at me and asked if I needed a priesthood blessing. My initial reaction was to decline, but in the end I accepted the offer. It turned out that I needed that blessing more than I thought I did. It was beautiful, and exactly what I needed to hear.

As I sat afterward in the rocking chair pondering the things he'd said, Blake asked me what I was thinking. Instead of answering plainly, I started to cry. The part of the blessing that struck me the most, and what I was thinking about when Blake asked, was the firm reminder that my Heavenly Father loves me and was so very pleased with how I am doing as a mother. Some days -- most days, really -- it is hard to remember this. I'm too impatient, and too often selfish in my motives. I get frustrated with and yell at my boys more often than I care to admit. Despite the fact that others often see me as having everything in my life well in control, I usually feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants, hanging on one crazy day at a time. "I just feel like I'm falling apart," I told Blake through my tears. "Sometimes it's too hard to believe that Heavenly Father thinks I'm doing a good job."

He nodded, more in sympathy than in agreement. "What if it's not so much falling apart as it is trying to build up?" he asked.

I thought about that, and as I did the image of a jigsaw puzzle, the kind with a thousand tiny pieces, came to mind. Maybe he was right. Maybe I am just trying to piece myself together. I'm generally not very good at putting together puzzles like this. They make me dizzy, and I'm too impatient. The puzzle of myself was, I imagined, filled with missing pieces and empty spaces. But as slow and difficult as the process is to put it together, I am somehow managing to do just that, with, of course, lots of help from others along the way. I'm not taking it apart; I'm slowly, very slowly, trying to piece it together. Someday, a long time from now, the puzzle will be finished, and I maybe won't feel like such a mess all the time. But in the meantime it'd be wise for me to remember that my Heavenly Father is pleased with my efforts to keep at it.

15 comments:

Sarah Kay said...

LOVE this post. It's so real and so inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Great post, and great analogy. You are a great mom, and you have a wonderful husband--glad he was in tune with what you needed.

Amy said...

Ummm. Amen.

jeanine said...

Oh I loved this! Thank you Lindsay... it's just what I needed!

Joyce said...

We all feel this way at times, Lindsay. From a mother-in-law's point of view, you are a wonderful mother. It's always nice to have a reassurance from our Heavenly Father. We love you!

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing this Lindsay. I've been having some very similar feelings this week and I appreciate your perspective. You have a wonderful way with words.

Wendy said...

Add me to the list of those who think you are wonderful and amazing.

Your thoughts on building up were just the personal reminder I needed today.

Sarah said...

Ditto to all that was said.

I always appreciated President Hinckley's admonition to try a little harder, be a little better. And Elder Ashton, along the same lines, talked about climbing the ladder of life. It didn't matter how fast we were climbing, but rather the direction we were going.

I love the puzzle analogy. Thanks for putting in words what we all need to hear.

JoEllen said...

Well said Lindsay.

AmyJane said...

Thanks.

Kristi said...

That's an insightful husband you have there. Thanks for your thoughts.

vdg family said...

You already know this, but I pretty much think you're Super Woman. Thanks for what you wrote. I think you're right.

Carrie said...

This was a beautiful post. I needed to hear that too! You are such a wonderful person and I'm glad that Blake is so in tune to what you need. Blessings of marriage and a bishop husband (even though he's so busy with his calling, the Lord magnifies him so he can be a good spouse as well)

GR82BAMOM said...

I appreciate you posting this, Lindsay. I, too, have felt this way and have needed the reassurance and comfort that can only come from a Priesthood Blessing. I will echo all your friends and family and say that you are doing a terrific job in all your roles in womanhood. You are definitely one of my shining examples. ;)

Kimberly said...

Thank you so much for writing this. It came at a perfect time for me. I have been working at this insane puzzle, or as David has named it "The Puzzle from Hell", for 4 years and finally finished it this week. It was quite the accomplishment! There was no way of knowing which piece went where except to try every single piece in every single spot. There were times of frustration that I rolled it all up and put it away to be finished when I gained my sanity back. In fact, until a month ago we had it stashed under our couch for a year in hopes that it would finish itself. But, I pulled it out and put it on our kitchen table. I told David that it was going to stay there until we finished it. After 3 more weeks of working on it, we finally finished! Now that it is done I have glued it together and will be framing it. The reason I share all of this is that it is the perfect example to me of your analogy and my life. I agree that I feel like I am falling apart. But, I also agree with Blake that we are being built up one piece at a time. We are trying ourselves in every possible way until we have become the women that our Heavenly Father has in mind. Now I will hang up my puzzle and think of it representing what I am being built up to. Thank you. And thank you for being such a wonderful sister! I know I can always look to you and Blake for an example.