wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, January 24, 2011

a weekend to beat all

On Friday my sister, Katie, was proposed to. She called me the next morning to give me all the happy details. "It looks like we'll have the same anniversary!" was how she broke the news. And sure enough, now that Blake and I have been married for nearly six years, the BYU academic calendar has come full circle. Katie and David (that lucky boy) will be married on April 23rd (the day after they both walk for graduation) in the Salt Lake temple. I am, of course, absolutely thrilled for her -- for them both. I haven't met Dave yet, but I hear nothing but wonderful things about him and how he and Katie are a perfect match for each other.

(Seriously, don't they even look like they belong together?!)

On Saturday morning at 9:43, my brother Riley and his wife, Chelsea, welcomed their baby girl, Chloe Ellen, into the world. She weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and measured 20 inches long (the exact stats as her dad!). Judging by the pictures I've seen, she is adorable, although we're all at a loss in determining where the heck that full head of dark hair came from! Equally adorable is how much her father is in awe of his new daughter (the first granddaughter in the family!...finally. It was high time someone had a girl). "She's so stinking cute!" Riley says. And of course he is absolutely right.


And on Sunday I celebrated my 29th birthday. I wish I could say it was as thrilling as the family news of the two days prior were, but it really wasn't. Mostly it was just a normal Sunday filled with normal Sunday challenges. Blake was away the whole day busy being the bishop, and I came down with a head cold. The boys did both take afternoon naps (of course, trip-home-from-church meltdowns had to happen first), and I made myself a delicious quiche for my traditional birthday dinner. I also received some lovely (and much needed) phone calls from family and friends throughout the day, and those did the trick to cheer me up and make me feel less lonely. Also, there was episode 3 of Downton Abbey to watch after I put the boys to bed, which I'd been looking forward to watching all week.

To make up for the fact that he'd be in meetings all day Sunday, Blake worked hard Saturday night to work in some celebrating. He brought home a chocolate ice cream cake and a beautiful bouquet of tulips (he knew I needed a bit of spring on my kitchen table) and then made me his famous eggs benedict for dinner. The celebrating will continue next Saturday when I get to cash in on my birthday gift of an evening out with Blake to see Mary Poppins on Broadway (thank you, Broadway Week and 2-for-1 tickets). This will be my first Broadway show (I know -- it's about time, right?), and I'm really excited. And, rumor has it, Mary Poppins flies!


15 comments:

Desmama said...

You will just love Mary Poppins. My jaw dropped open several times during it. Such a great show! I'm so glad you get to celebrate your birthday seeing it!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I've heard great things about Mary Poppins. How fun!

I was SO looking forward to Downton Abbey, and then our cable channel went out at just that time. Ugh. I am trying to record it tonight (old school way, with a VCR-we're too cheap for TiVo) ;) because I am dying to see it.

Congrats on your new family members. Do you get to go to the wedding?

Erin said...

What a great weekend! I'm so excited for you to see Mary Poppins! We saw it last year and it is SO fun.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Happy b-day! Hope the show is fantastic.

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay! That sound like the coolest birthday present ever!

The Adams Family said...

Happy Birthday from the Adams family.

amanda said...

Wow, I should have read this post before that last email! Happy birthday and have fun at the big show!

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow your first Broadway show-how exciting. Sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday.

me said...

Happy belated Birthday, Lindsay! It really sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. And yes, Mary Poppins is the best Broadway show EVER!

cherry said...

Oh belated Happy Birthday Lindsay!! and welcome back to the Primary!

Whitney said...

Happy birthday! That cake looks delish!

I have so much to learn about NY...restaurant week AND broadway week! My goodness!

Lance and Kristi said...

I can't believe Katie is old enough to get married! So, so happy for her though.

Glad you had a semi good birthday - You deserve it! I got tickets to see Mary Poppins here in CA for my birthday too ;-)

Emily said...

Happy B-day! So jealous you get to see Mary Poppins on Broadway; how exciting for you!

I've been enjoying Downton Abbey too (all except that ONE scene in episode one....). I'm very excited to see the final episode this Sunday.

Kimberly said...

Happy belated birthday! I promise I didn't forget! It was one of the first things that went through my mind Sunday morning!
And congrats to Katie and Riley! Such an amazing weekend! That baby is stinking cute!

MOMster said...

Okay...wait, wait, wait. Katie is getting married?! KATIE??? I remember when she was born! This is getting crazy. Granted I am on the brink of turning 30 in two weeks so I shouldn't be surprised when other people grow up too, but still...Katie?

Congrats on the new niece! How pretty she is!