wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, August 1, 2010

quiche lorraine

This is one of my all-time favorite dishes. Just ask my mother, who made it, at my request, for many, many of my birthday meals growing up. It's adapted (or, more correctly, enhanced) from a recipe found in the book Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars (which is a pretty fun cookbook). There are many varieties of quiche out there, and many are somewhat complicated to make. This one, on the other hand, is very simple. I've tried several kinds of quiches, but there's something in this one about the combination of bacon, Swiss cheese, onions and green peppers that makes it my favorite. I've made it so many times, I could probably whip one together with my eyes closed. I hope you enjoy it, too. It makes a great Sunday dinner.

Quiche Lorraine
1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
2 tbsp onion, chopped fine
2 tbsp flour
1/2 lb bacon, crisply cooked
1 9" unbaked pie crust

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine milk, eggs, onion, green pepper, and seasonings; mix well. Toss cheese with flour. Add cheese mixture and bacon to egg mixture. pour into pie crust. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Serve with a big green salad and toasted crusty bread.

----------

Well, that was my last offering for Recipe Week. I occasionally toy with the idea of starting a separate recipe blog, but something always keeps me from doing it -- the time it would take to keep one going, the fact that I don't take pictures of my food, etc. Maybe, if you enjoyed these recipes as much as I enjoyed sharing them, I'll host another Recipe Week someday. That's a level of commitment I can handle.

1 comment:

jeanine said...

Mmm... I'm making this tonight for dinner! Thanks Lindsay!