wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, January 21, 2011

slices of bread

Since the new year began, and with it my bread-making resolution, I have baked several loaves of bread. Nothing has turned out award-winning, but nothing has been inedible either. It all actually has tasted pretty good, if I may say so, especially the whole wheat bread. I'm starting to get the hang of this bread-baking business, so long as the recipe requirements are not too complicated. Kneading has become more therapeutic than confusing. I've learned about ingredients I'd never before heard of (hello, vital wheat gluten), and I've discovered ingredient variations that have improved the quality of the time I spend baking as well as the taste of the bread that results (hello, instant yeast and white wheat flour). I've learned that using an electric knife to cut the bread is a thousand times easier than using a regular bread knife and results in more even slices (thank you, FoxyJ, for the tip!). I have a growing stack of recipes I have yet to try and a growing list of experiments I want to test out on recipes I've already made. So as you can see, the whole endeavor has been rather thrilling for me.

Which isn't to say, however, that it's all been an easy piece of cake thus far. I've encountered some difficulties, though not of the sort that I would have thought. The New York City take-out or have-it-delivered culture is not very conducive to the home baker. It has been surprisingly difficult to find even the most basic ingredients. For example, my local supermarket doesn't always stock yeast of any kind. Varieties of flour are also difficult to track down. And that vital wheat gluten, which I was originally told was a common enough ingredient to be found in a normal baking aisle, took an extra bit of creativity to find. They say you can find anything in New York City, anything you could ever want or need. And that's probably true. But it's never all in one place and so a wild goose chase in search of whatever it is you're looking for is often required. Luckily the internet, and especially the people behind King Arthur Flour, exist to help people like me who find themselves too exhausted to keep searching locally.

Finding the time to bake bread has been another challenge. And when I can find the time, it's sometimes tricky to make sure that I can be available in the kitchen during those moments when the dough needs to be punched down or shaped into loaves or put in the oven. Instant yeast has been helpful here, and has so far proved worth the wild goose chase it took to actually bring it into my kitchen.

The next thing I'd like to tackle are rolls. This time it's not the dough-making that bewilders me. It's the dough shaping. All the roll recipes I've ever seen have instructions along the lines of "Knead dough. Shape dough. Bake dough." But what exactly does it mean to "shape dough"? And how close together do you place those shaped pieces of dough on the pan -- if indeed a sheet plan is what is used? Or do rolls need to be baked in something deeper, like a 9x13 casserole dish? Or in something specialized, like a muffin tin? Of course, I realize that answers to these questions will depend on the recipe, but where I stand now any bit of basic instruction would be helpful. So if any of you more experienced roll makers have any insight, I'd be much obliged. Also, if you have any favorite roll recipes you think I should try, please share them.

9 comments:

FoxyJ said...

This is my favorite roll recipe and the post is awesome because it is very detailed. Use instant yeast and they will rise a lot better:

http://cafejohnsonia.blogspot.com/2008/04/refrigerator-rolls-101.html

I sometimes do the crescent rolls, but mine always end up in weird shapes and sizes. Round rolls are a little more easy.

The main thing that I have discovered with yeast doughs is that the rising times given in recipes are not always correct and/or are flexible. Not sure if that makes sense. First of all, how long it takes dough to rise really depends on the temperature in your kitchen that day and the level of humidity. In the winter my dough always takes a lot of time and in the summer not as much. Wheat bread will rise more slowly than white, so will richer doughs with eggs or milk in them. I've also found that you can have some leeway with rising time, especially in the first rising before you shape the loaves. For me, reading about the science of breadbaking and how ingredients work in places like The Joy of Cooking or even online has been helpful. I've also found a good recipe for bread that I like to use often and I've found that making it a number of times helps me get better at it. I'm usually the type of person who likes to experiment a lot with recipes, but trying to make the same one over and over again has been interesting.

Oh, and I got the electric knife tip from someone else, but it changed my life. My experience with homemade bread as a kid was in giant slices that were almost too thick to eat. Plus if you have the whole loaf already sliced you're a lot more likely to use it. It might seem obvious, but we used to just 'slice as you go' and it was a pain! I always make two loaves and store one in the freezer for a few days while we eat the first one and for some reason that actually seems to make it even more tender. You can also pre-slice the bread and always store it in the freezer if you find that summer-time heat makes it grow mold faster.

Kristi said...

My friend showed me how to shape rolls a couple weeks ago. She pinches off a hunk of dough in her hand, then on an oiled countertop she rolls it in her hand like you would a ball of play doh, only with a cupped hand instead of flat, if that makes any sense. That method makes it nice and round and smooth on top. If you like your rolls to touch, then do a 4x6 or 4x5 pattern in your jelly roll pan. If you don't like them to touch, then do 3x4 or 3x5.

She also introduced me to SAF yeast, which makes it so you only have to let it rise once. You make your dough and make it into bread or rolls or whatever, and then you let it rise until double in size. It's pretty awesome stuff. I think the amount is 2/3 of the active dry yeast, but Google would have to confirm that.

Oh, and another tip (my friend's a genius in the kitchen): use shortening instead of Pam on your cookie sheets and sheet pans. The oil makes the pan brown, whereas the shortening keeps it nice and shiny.

heath said...

I'm a big fan of the clover roll (I think it's the extra butter). Just roll the doll into three smallish balls, then stick them into the muffin cup, and then when it rises and bakes in the oven, they form together (however, I can't remember if you let them rise for a bit after you put them in the muffin tin--I'm sure you could find instructions online).

JoEllen said...

Oh oh oh, darn it, "Heath" took mine!! I love the little clover rolls. You (and Garrett) can easily roll dough into little balls, right? Then just plop three into a greased muffin tin, let them rise a little and pop them into the oven. They're super fun to make, super fun to eat!

Let's see if I can explain how I shape my rolls...

I take my piece and shape it into a ball by pulling all the ends to one point (which ends up being the bottom.) The top is smooth and glossy. The bottom isn't, but who cares? You can't see it anyway. Don't "shape" too much or your bread will lose it's fluffiness.

Erin said...

I usually do my rolls using the "Parker House" method. Roll out the dough, use a large cup to cut out circles. Then put a dab of butter in the center of the circle and fold in half. Line up fairly closely in a 9x13 pan and bake. Mmmmm, buttery!

Have fun! I decided to not be afraid of bread a few years ago myself. It's opened a whole new world for me. My biggest discovery is that not all recipes are created equal!

Desmama said...

The closer you place your rolls to one another, the softer they will be. The farther apart, the crustier.

Desmama said...

Sorry you had trouble finding the vital wheat gluten. If I'd known it was such a tricky thing to track down, I would've shipped some off you to pronto. ;) Did you eventually find some?

The Adams Family said...

I have always had trouble shaping rolls as well. I was really excited when I saw them making Lion House rolls right before Thanksgiving. We tried it, because we were in charge of the rolls for Thanksgiving, and they worked out great! Here is the link, I hope it works.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=204&sid=13337385

Kim

Tianna said...

I'm glad you liked the whole wheat bread! It really is good. Here's another recipe I came across: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/BudgetBytes/~3/iCL5Pf1vfec/cinnamon-raisin-bread-124-recipe-10.html

It's for no-knead cinnamon raisin bread. I haven't tried it yet, but I've tried other things from that blog and they've always turned out great. And it's a frugality cooking blog, so everything is cheap, too! :) PLUS she always puts pictures of every step, which is so helpful.

In fact, here are all of her recipes for bread: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/search/label/bread