wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, August 20, 2010

today's the day

Today's the day he's been waiting for nearly all week long. Today's the day Garrett gets to go to the zoo. But not just any zoo. Today's the day we're making the trek all the way up to Bronx Zoo.


For the last few days, ever since we announced to Garrett that we'd be going, he has been absolutely giddy with anticipation. I've never seen him so excited for something in all his life! He's been barking like a seal (his favorite exhibit at the Prospect Park Zoo) and listing off all of the animals, along with the sounds they make, that he plans to see while we're there. Every time we get ready to leave the house for some errand or other, he asks anxiously if we're going to the zoo now, and every time I have to tell him, "No, we're going on Friday," "We'll go to the zoo in two more days," "Nope, not today, but we'll go tomorrow!"

While I know the zoo ants crawling around in his pants will be put to rest after our visit, I will be a little disappointed when it's over. Do you realize what an incredible motivator this zoo trip has been for him?

"If you want to go to the zoo, you need to eat your noodles."

"They only let boys who wake up dry go to the zoo."

"Be nice to Caleb and share your toys or we won't go to the zoo."


It's been an awesome tool to have at my fingertips because it actually works: he's eaten his noodles, he woke up dry, and he's shared his toys (albeit a little reluctantly). I will take him to a zoo every week if I have to in order to keep this magic alive.

But today's the day, and if Garrett has anything to do with it, it'll be a great one.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Ah, I'mve been away from my computer for a while so it's been fun to catch up on your blog. I love teh zoo bribe for Garrett and congrats on him almost being potty trained. I love that art piece by your mom. I love her :). Your boys are so cute and you are such a great mom.

Ryan said...

Oh, it's actually a zoo. I was completely expecting pictures of you guys at Yankee stadium. I didn't even know there was an actual "Bronx Zoo." Now that I think about it, it's probably a lot more fun than watching baseball. Good choice.