wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

go, caleb, go!

As promised, here is footage of Caleb walking:




Something clicked that has made him just let go and, well, go. Most of the steps he's taken today have been totally unprompted. And, as you can see above, he's starting to take more steps at a stretch. Go, Caleb, go!

Those of you taking notes at home might remember that at 11 1/2 months, which is roughly what Caleb is right now, Garrett was just barely, barely starting to scoot around with his gimpy Tiny Tim crawl. He wouldn't start walking for another five months or so. Second children really do catch on faster.

(Here's hoping that trend continues when it's time to potty train Caleb. Today, on a whim of frustration at the fact that I am still having to change giant [poopy] diapers on my giant child, I put Garrett in underwear and told him to stay dry. For the most part he did, though, for the most part he also only used the potty when I told him to. But Potty Training: Round 2 is so far more clean and calm than Round 1. Maybe this time he'll truly catch on to the idea.)

5 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Yay Caleb! Good luck on round 2. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are still working on the potty training with my niece (she claims she won't wear a diaper anymore, though she still pees in her pants regularly 4 or so times a day). Basically what works is constant reminders. It'll take him time before he gets the feeling of I need to go and recognizes it. So good luck, just remind him to go potty every 15 minutes or so and understand it will take awhile. By the time I potty train mine, you'll have two potty trained boys and will be able to tell me what worked and what didn't. :)

JoEllen said...

Ugh, potty training! I loathe it. I'm with you - here's to hoping kid number 2 catches on to all things more quickly! Nicky was 14 months when he started walking. Exactly the same age Little Sal was when he started crawling! Crazy boys.

Kimberly said...

Yay Caleb! Exciting times, but I'm kinda nervous about Lydia getting to that point! I'm having to watch what I even leave on the floor more right now. Luckily she's not too fast yet.
Oh, and good luck with Garrett! He can do it! (And so can you!)

Emily said...

Go Caleb! It is so exciting! Isn’t it strange that our two little ones took their first steps in the same week? Best of luck with the potty training, it will just ‘click’, I am sure.

GR82BAMOM said...

Hooray for Caleb and good luck to Garrett. We are potty training here, too. For the most part, Liam only wears underwear around the house and on short trips. I feel like I need to put a diaper on him for for bedtime and longer car trips (like, an hour). I know, I'm a chicken. Our only other hiccup is that he has figured out that he pees when he drinks, so now he decreases his fluid intake. Not good. So I give him pretzels often as a snack to make him really thirsty. Otherwise, so far so good!