wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, February 28, 2013

still sewing up a storm

My sewing machine and I have continued to bond over the last few weeks. Here are the results of the most recent time we've spent together.

Dish Towel Bibs


I was first introduced to the brilliant idea of a dish towel bib when we stopped over at my brother's house in Atlanta at Christmas. My sister-in-law's mother had made a stack of them for my niece to use, and Matthew got to try them out. They were fantastic -- just slip it over your child's head for mealtime, then use it to wipe them up after they eat.  They looked easy enough to make, but there was for me a bit of a learning curve. I used snippets of multiple tutorials that I found online, plus a bit of my own common sense, and, after a handful of failed attempts, finally conquered! I made a bunch and now have a stash not only for my children to use, but to also give away as baby gifts (which I've already done twice!).


Tea Towel Aprons


I found a set of pretty tea towels on clearance at TJ Maxx not too long ago and, using about 2 1/2 yards of 3/4-inch twill tape, turned them into basic aprons. I mostly followed this tutorial, and they were ridiculously easy to make, and they turned out really cute! I ended up keeping one for myself and giving the other two to my 82nd Street Girls, Emily and Whitney as birthday gifts so now we can be matchy-matchy in our own respective kitchens.


Fabric Scraps for Attic Stairs Quilt


Thanks to Pinterest, I recently found a really great use for the piles of fabric scraps I've accumulated. So I spent several days cutting 2"x4" rectangles out of every possible bit of leftover quilt material I had, building a useable pile of fabric while obliterating the stash of oddly-shaped scraps. I haven't started sewing them together yet, but once I do, I hope to put together my own version of an Attic Stairs quilt, not too unlike this one:



Tote Bags


Using this easy-to-follow tutorial from The Purl Bee, I made two basic tote bags out of some upholstery weight cotton I picked up while we were in Texas for Christmas. They really do only take a few minutes to put together, and they turned out so charming!


Next up on my sewing to-do list is to work on some quilts: the Attic Stairs one mentioned above, a jelly-roll-and-layer-cake quilt using fabric Blake gave me for Christmas, and I think I'm finally ready to sew the blocks together and put the embellishments on the crazy quilt I started a few years (!) ago. So stay tuned (but, based on how long it's taken me to get through the crazy quilt, I wouldn't recommend holding your breath).

3 comments:

JoEllen said...

I love the attic stairs quilt. I can't wait to see yours!! (And of course hear your thoughts on it.) I've been wondering about your crazy quilt. I'm excited to see that completed too! yay!

Peter and Mandy said...

You are so creative. I have one sister-in-law that just reupholstered a free chair she saw on the sidewalk and another sister-in-law who makes most of her kids skirts, dresses and quilts....then there's me-no sewing capabilities. Gosh I have a lot to learn.

Last time we were in Utah-2 years ago November, Peter's cousin and aunt made us some super cute bibs. They look very much like a towel bib size wise but have a snap on the back so the child can't get it off very easily. We loved them and often used them to wipe the kiddo up after meal time.

MOMster said...

These are so great!!! We used dish towel bibs on our youngest (sometimes I think we should still) and they were awesome!

Can't wait to see some more projects!