wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

white dolly

A few days ago I was going through my cedar chest and found, buried beneath baby blankets and other memorabilia, a long-loved treasure: White Dolly, a baby doll I used to play with when I was little.

Baby Lindsay and White Dolly, July 1982

She looked more than a little haggard. Her clothes and body were filthy, her hair was tangled, matted, and falling out in places, and she was missing a bootie. Despite how loved she was over the years, she looked so bad, I was tempted to just toss her. But before I did, I thought I'd try to clean her up a bit.

I added her clothes to my weekly laundry piles and scrubbed years of dirt out from in between the crevices of her plastic extremities. I sewed up a popped seam on her soft body. I researched how to untangle doll hair, rounded up the supplies, and brushed it smooth. (There's unfortunately nothing I can do about the bald spots or the fact that the original styling of it has long since fallen out, leaving her looking like she left the doll salon with a really bad haircut; thank goodness she has a bonnet to cover it.)

I redressed her in her now clean dress, pantaloons, sweater, and bonnet, borrowed my most current baby, and attempted to recreate history.



I think it's safe to say that Matthew likes White Dolly. And so does Caleb, for that matter, whose maternal instincts shifted into high gear the moment the doll resurfaced. He fought his brother for the adoption rights, welcomed her into his small dolly family, and just now tucked her in for a nap. Which means that, despite the sad state of her hair, White Dolly has been given new life, and we'll be keeping her around a little bit longer.

8 comments:

heath said...

What a sweet memory/moment. It's a lovely reminder of how accepting children are. And how they don't need a lot of money spent on them to be happy.

Erin said...

So precious! I have a bear that I've had since I was 8 that my girls love to snuggle. And I remember my mom's tattered and torn childhood bear always having a place of honor on her bed!

AmyJane said...

That's so sweet! I love that Caleb with his parental instincts!

Sarah said...

How fun, Lindsay. I have a couple of my childhood dolls that my girls (and boys, at times) play with and it just makes me smile.

Joyce said...

Love this! And now I've really got to find my Spike (teddy bear).

Peter and Mandy said...

Oh you just have to keep it. I have a couple from my childhood and my mom has a couple from her childhood. I like going through my mom's trunk of stuff every now and then and see the old toys and clothes she kept for so long.

jeanine said...

Oh I just love it!

JoEllen said...

Oh these are just cute Lindsay!!!