wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

queen of my kitchen

If I may say so, I'm a real wiz when it comes to restoring the kitchen to order after the chaos that is any given meal. I've never actually timed how fast I'm able to do it (maybe one of these days I should....), but I'm pretty sure it's record-breaking how quick I can whip that room back into shape, no matter how messy. (Seriously, just ask Blake. I've made his jaw drop with my speed on more than one occasion.) My kitchen may be tiny (one point in my favor), but I don't have a dishwasher or a garbage disposal (two points for the other team). And I get an awful lot of practice, which over time naturally lends itself to efficiency and, ultimately, speed.

Do you want to know my secrets (aside from practice practice practice)? Here's how I do it, in ten uncomplicated steps.
  1. Put away all food -- leftovers, condiments....anything edible.
  2. Unload the dish drainer.
  3. Pull out the garbage can; scrape plates and toss used napkins and any other trash.
  4. Rinse dishes and stack on the counter next to the sink in an orderly fashion.
  5. Plug sink; add dish soap and hot running water.
  6. Wash dishes in order of like items to more efficiently fill the dish drainer. (My preference is to work small to large: utensils, baby bottles, cups, bowls, plates, pots/pans/misc. cookware/large mixing bowls.) Save anything that you know won't fit for last.
  7. Dry the dishes that didn't fit on the drainer and put them away. (If you're good at filling your drainer, it should usually only be large pots and baking sheets.)
  8. Wipe the counters, stove top, table, and chairs (including the high chair, if your family currently requires one).
  9. Sweep the floor.
  10. Take out the trash.

And you're done! Now be honest -- it wasn't as bad as it seemed it would be when you first started, right? I thought so.

3 comments:

AmyJane said...

Isn't it funny those chores that we work up in our minds as huge, but when you actually get to it, it's really not that big a deal when you get down to it? I'm like that about bathrooms and mopping in particular?

Peter and Mandy said...

Okay I have a dishwasher and disposal and it still takes ages to clean the kitchen...sadly I think it's the hand washables-pots and pans that take forever. I love my big kitchen, but it's hard to keep clean...along with the rest of the house that Connor plays in.

Amy said...

I love you because we're sometimes the same person. We had a friend who had to live with us for a month awhile back. He couldn't get over how quickly we cleaned our kitchen after dinner. My philosophy: just do it. I think it's easy to say "I just cooked dinner. I'll wait to clean up." but after awhile you have a whole days worth of cleaning to do instead of one meal and suddenly it's not easy any more. So just do it! :)