Our neighbors directly below us, an older, quiet Polish couple, are among the most understanding and tolerant people I've ever known. They have to be, to so patiently put up with the noise my boys daily rain down on their ceiling. In fact, to hear them talk, they almost welcome the thunderous jumping and continuous running that I'm sure must rattle the walls of their apartment. "They're little boys," they tell me matter-of-factly in their thick Polish accents. "It's what they do."
A couple of days ago, while Garrett, Caleb, and I blew bubbles on the stoop, we were joined by the husband. As the boys squealed with delight over the "bigger bubbles" they were blowing and boisterously popping in turn, we chatted briefly about how much they were growing. He eventually drifted off into the background where he continued to silently watch them play.
A few moments passed before he smiled and said to me, "I strongly believe that those boys need a sister!"
I laughed, both at the bold and direct manner in which he spoke, as well as at the content of his comment. But, even though the thought of a third child, male or female, absolutely terrifies me, I couldn't deny the truth. "I agree!" I replied, and then I added, partly for my sake, but mostly for his whose ceiling they shake, "They need a calmer influence to tone them down a bit."
He nodded and laughed heartily in return, and then encouraged me with a "Well? What are you waiting for?"
And that is where I, still not totally comfortable with the Brooklyn habit for unabashed nosiness, let the conversation die.
I reflected on this exchange after he, now joined by his wife, left to go eat dinner. To me his comment said two things. It emphasized that yes, my boys are loud, they are noisy, and sometimes it borders on being extremely difficult to put up with so regularly. But it also told me that they are willing, and perhaps even happy, to welcome more.
Someday, folks. Sorry to perhaps disappoint, but this is not an announcement, except to say that my neighbor downstairs has so generously bestowed upon me his blessing to have another noisy baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That's too funny! If he saw how Lydia and her crazy friends play though, he wouldn't think that a sister would help tone the boys down! Lydia keeps up with the best of them!
Though, we welcome any newcomers to the family! :)
Ha! Although little girls are absolutely darling, they were the noisy, boisterous ones in my family! I think he just loves having you as neighbors -- and would probably miss the thuds on his ceiling if you were gone. I love them all -- boys and girls!
*Grin* Gotta love old, foreign people. They have a great way of just cutting through the crap formalities and just saying it the way they see it.
It's so funny to me when people give permission to either have more kids or to stop having more children (which is usually the one I get from strangers). I just figure it is nice of them to take the time to care, even though it's really not any of their business.
In our family, whatever the girl doesn't compensate with bumps and banging on the floor (which she does) she makes up in screeches and shouts--both joyful and otherwise.
I love your writing, just so you know.
For the record, I don't necessarily think that having a girl automatically means gaining a quieter personality. It could happen, but, considering who she'd have as older brothers, most likely it will not.
hilarious. "What are you waiting for?" Well, let me just call my husband so he can come home and . . . what a thing to say. so funny. gotta love brooklyn.
That's actually really sweet, albeit nosy! :) And I have to agree with some of the commenters....my girls are pretty rough and tumble since they learned it from big brother. I do think it changes the tone of the family to have both though. Just not always in a calm direction!
Also, what a sweet couple to be so kind about the noise of kids in an apartment. I do not miss the "don't jump! don't run!" days of apartment living with kids.
I only wish my downstairs neighbors loved my boys like your neighbors do. I'm pretty sure they just hate us. :) We have flooded their place....
People tell me the same thing all the time. A girl. A girl is what you need.
I just smile and nod.
Post a Comment