2. Then it was off to Manhattan to take Chelsea on a sightseeing tour. First item of business was to head back to Fishs Eddy to take care of a bit of unfinished business (i.e. Chelsea had finally decided what she'd like to buy). While she made her purchase, I swooned over a set of nesting yellow enamel mixing bowls that I've had my eye on. I'll likely have to go back before too long to take care of a bit unfinished business of my own.
3. A Beecher's Handmade Cheese store just opened up across the street from Fishs Eddy, and, cheese lovers that we are, we of course had to peek inside. And do you know what we found? Cheese curd! I craved cheese curd all through my pregnancy with Caleb and was never able to satisfy the craving. But I did yesterday, albeit two-plus years too late. And it was good -- real good.
4. The great thing about NYC are the guys who stand on street corners and hand out free samples of new products. They are never skimpy when doling them out. Moments after we finished devouring the cheese curd we were met by a guy handing out sample bags of Back to Nature brand crackers and chocolate chip cookies. The stash they left us with lasted us the rest of the day. Score!
5. Next up was a hike over to the west side to walk along the High Line. I love the High Line. It's awesome. Even when Caleb trips and face plants into the railroadesque architecture. (The scrape and bruise on his forehead is also awesome.)
6. For obvious reasons we simply had to take Chelsea back to street level to walk through Chelsea Market. In one store she even found a street-sign magnet that said "Chelsea," so, you know, that alone made the trip entirely worth it.
7. Next it was off to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to check out a thrift store my friend, Ashley, recommended. I found a really cute wrap-around skirt for only five bucks. Score again!
8. After a painfully long and complicated train ride home (thanks to weekend track work we didn't know about), we finally made it back to our neighborhood where we were greeted by a sidewalk sale at a local antique store. Hiding underneath a table was an adorable children's rocking chair that, because it was also a great price, we just couldn't pass up. It desperately needs a new paint job, but I'm up to the task, especially since Caleb absolutely loves it. I hoping we can get it spruced up in time for his birthday in a couple weeks.
9. Because she is good to us, Chelsea volunteered to watch the boys so Blake and I could go out on a dinner date. We ate at Chiquitita, a Mexican restaurant we've been wanting to try for ages. It did not disappoint, in spite of the fact that most of the employees were Chinese (we've had bad luck in the past with Mexican food at Chinese-run establishments).
4 comments:
It must be so so fun to have your sister there visiting. It's been fun reading about all you've been doing. And I love that little rocking chair you picked up. So perfect!
Hooray! What a great day! I'm glad you liked Chiquitita :)
get the Terro bait traps!! They work like a charm!! We got rid of HUGE ants in the apt last year and the little ones in our bathroom. This year, they barely came back and as soon as we saw them, we set out the traps and they were gone within a day or 2.
I love a day full of unexpected good deals!
Post a Comment