From start to finish, we all worked hard to make sure that Caleb had a nice birthday. I don't think he always recognized our efforts (like when he kept tangling himself up around the helium-filled balloon I bought him and tied around his wrist, which made him scream occasionally in angry frustration) , but he's two, so I suppose that is to be expected. Overall, though, it was a very happy day.
Even the earth rejoiced for Caleb. I'm sure by now you've all heard about the Virginia earthquake that struck yesterday afternoon and which was felt all up the East Coast. It registered as a 5.9 on the Richter scale, but because it occurred so close to the earth's surface, it was more strongly and broadly felt.
I sure felt it. It's kind of hard to ignore a swaying (and rickety) pre-war apartment building. Though it was more startling than scary, I still panicked slightly. Go figure, right? (Or maybe not. I am, after all, prone to panic.) I spend my entire childhood in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains preparing for "the big one," but when I actually experience my first significant earthquake, I forget what it is exactly I'm supposed to do to take cover. Not that what I felt required taking much cover -- just a few rattled pictures on the wall and swaying light fixtures -- but still.
I think I was more frightened in the aftermath of the quake than I was during the quake itself because it took until then for me to realize just what exactly it was. While it was happening I initially thought that maybe there was some construction down the street, but outside everything was quiet. And unlike a piece of heavy machinery driving past, this shaking just did not stop. And I desperately wanted it to stop, but nothing I could do would make that happen. Earthquakes are so terrifying partly because you feel so powerless during them.
The boys, of course, napped right through it, completely oblivious to planet Earth's attempts to wish Caleb a happy birthday. (Now that I think of it, maybe the world does revolve around Caleb!)
After everyone woke up and I got sick of following breaking quake coverage on the news, we joined the Johnsons at the park. A few climbed trees and colored sidewalks later we were back home getting ready to party.
Caleb cleaned up in the gift department. Opening presents was a particular thrill; finding what was inside was even better.
He loves everything he got, but is especially enamored with the monkey puppet. He calls it his "Ohh-Ahh-Ahh" because, you know, that's the sound a monkey makes, right? He can't make it work himself, but will frequently give it to someone who can, after which he will make it play patty cake and give it kisses.
Our favorite gift to give him was a spruced up children's rocking chair, which we (and by "we" I mean "Blake") stripped, sanded, and applied a fresh coat of yellow paint to. I think it turned out looking great!
Then it was time for cake and ice cream, or, as we made them, cupcakes baked into ice cream cones.
Cute, huh? I baked half of the cake batter as ice cream cake cones and the rest as a 9" round. He blew out candles on the round and consumed the cones.
He had a great time and made a big mess, which is what a two-year-old's birthday celebrations are supposed to boil down to. And now the party's over for another year. I always find the winding down of a birthday (even when it's not my own) to be a little bittersweet. At least I get to keep the crazy kid we celebrated in the meantime.
3 comments:
Oh, cute boy! I can't believe he's two! That rocking chair turned out to be just darling. I hope he had a good day--and you will probably always remember the day the Earth remembered to sway for Caleb. :)
I love his little squeals of delight! So cute! What a big boy!
What a great idea!! (The ice cream cone cakes....) And the chair looks fabulous.
Earthquakes are definitely startling. I lived in the SF area during the '89 quake. Crazy stuff!
Post a Comment