wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the funny things they say

Caleb

During every poopy diaper change, he instinctively holds his nose and yells out a hearty, "P.U.!"

(Apparently he's not the only one who notices!)

***

Just before church began on Sunday, Caleb escaped from our pew and made a mad dash for the stand, where he made himself comfortable next to Blake in the seat where his 2nd counselor usually sits. After walking up there to retrieve him, I told him that it was time to come sit with Mom. He looked at me square in the eye and firmly told me, "No," then grabbed Blake's arm and possessively said, "Dad."

(In the end his directness only got him a tear-filled trip back to our pew, but at least his intentions were clear.)

***

Garrett

Speaking of the remnants of cookie dough he was licking off the mixing spoon: "Mom, this good. I take it to bed you think?"

(No, Garrett, I don't think so.)

***

While holding a small broken tree branch he found lying on the sidewalk during our walk home, and in between his attempts to whistle a bird call: "Birds! Come! I have a stick! Birds!"

(Generous though it was, no birds took him up on the offer for an up close and personal perch on his stick.)

***

Speaking of the bouquet of gerbera daisies he, Caleb, and Blake got me for Mother's Day: "Here you flowers. It says love."

(You bet they do!)

***

Blake

While talking on the phone with me at the end of an apparently very long day at the office, he suddenly stopped mid-sentence. I can almost hear him start to search his pockets just before he says, "Oh no, I think I forgot my phone."

(Um...you're talking on your phone, dear.)

8 comments:

Whitney said...

Love this!!! My fav is "baby Bake" for obvious reasons. Your boys are so stinkin' cute!

Amy F. P. said...

Love it!

jeanine said...

Too funny! Especially the one from Blake!!

Peter and Mandy said...

Those are hilarious!

Kimberly said...

I've actually done the same thing as Blake before. Hmmm...does it run in the family? Those are too funny! Love it! We really want to come to NY to see y'all too! It's just trying to figure out the time and money. Blah! Wanna come to the beach?

Kristi said...

Haha. I love that Blake made the list, too.

Desmama said...

These are great! So funny. Yeah, I love that Blake made the list too.

Brenna King said...

Oh man.... too cute! all of them!