- Playgroup. We hosted it at our house, and Caleb was one of the older ones there. Because the age demographics were a little more even and the kids who usually argue with other kids over this and that (ahem...Garrett), it made for one of the calmest indoor playgroups I've attended in a long time.
- Chocolate peanut butter brownie bites. I found the recipe on Pinterest, whipped up a batch, and proceeded to eat way too many. But oh, they were good (though they did taste a little better the second day).
- The Brooklyn Children's Museum. Though Caleb enjoyed the whole visit, especially the part where he didn't have to always do what his bossy big brother wanted to do, his favorite things were the admission stamp on his hand (his "paw print") and a random pencil sharpener at a coloring exhibit (he spent, no joke, thirty minutes trying to sharpen pencils; I literally had to drag him away).
- Target. For the first time in, oh, forever, we weren't rushed. Going to Target is always a more pleasant experience when you're not in a hurry.
- Downton Abbey. And lots of it. Whitney came over to jump on the bandwagon by watching some of the first season with me. And then, of course, I tuned in to PBS on Sunday night to watch the second episode of the second season.
- Sewing. I'm currently mass producing yo-yos for a few projects.
- Sleeping in. It's been really nice not having to get Garrett up and ready for school every morning.
- Spending lots of time with Christy. Watching movies, Sunday dinner at her place ("Christy's house" is one of Caleb's favorite places these days), and making a batch of authentic New York black and white cookies.
- Easy dinners. It's been really nice not having to plan meals that all four members of my family are happy about. One night, when I asked Caleb what he wanted to eat, he replied with, "Bee cereal!" And so we ate Honey Nut Cheerios for dinner. Awesome.
- Updates from the boys on the road. I missed Garrett terribly, but I loved talking to him on the phone. Hearing his excited "Hi Mommy!" brightened my days. Also, my mother-in-law, Joyce, would occasionally email pictures of their adventures from her phone. It really does look like he was having a great time.

- Bonding time with Caleb. This has been awesome. Caleb doesn't get to live outside his brother's shadow very often, and as a result some really delightful parts of his personality get a little smothered. Our one-on-one time has been sweet, informative, and often quite hilarious. Like the time when we were walking home from the bus after church and Caleb suddenly said, "Uh-oh! My pants!" I look down at him and, lo and behold, his belted pants had somehow fallen down to his ankles. We both found the incident pretty funny, and a few minutes later, as we were walking up the stairs to our apartment, Caleb reminded me (as if I could have forgotten), "My pants fall down! So silly!"
Despite the fun Caleb and I have had on our little staycation, I am ready to have my house filled again. I've missed my other half and my happy boy who rarely stops talking. It will be good to have them home.
5 comments:
I loved coming over! I'm watching Downton Abbey online right now! And that's what I'll be doing every day at naptime until I'm caught up. And yes, I now realized it's Downton Abbey...not Downtown Abbey as I was previously calling it. Oops!
Isn't one on one time with the second child so great?
Also, Downton Abbey.....weren't on the bandwagon last year so we have been watching them all online I order to get caught up. SO good!!!
Cheerios for dinner awesome!
It's a good thing that Caleb is still at an age where pants falling down is "silly" and not totally embarrassing. :) Sounds like you've been able to enjoy some fun one-on-one time. Glad you're getting the rest of your family back though.
I just finished the first episode of Downton last night. I have a feeling that it will provide many hours of entertainment. Sounds like a fun week!
Post a Comment