Blake and Garrett are currently en route to San Antonio, where they will spend a few days with grandparents before driving our new car home to Brooklyn. Garrett has been eagerly anticipating this trip. I've never seen someone so excited to "fly a plane to Grandma's house" -- or so thrilled to get out of bed at 3:30 in the morning to head to the airport.
During a brief layover in Atlanta, Blake called to say hi. A few minutes into the conversation, he handed the phone over to Garrett, who, following my instructions to be sure to talk to Mom on the phone while he was gone, wanted to tell me all about the flight. Here on my end, Caleb, who was sitting next to me at the time, got jealous and wanted some phone time, too. So I told Garrett that Caleb wanted to talk to him and that I was handing the phone over to him. Garrett happily obliged. The following is pretty much how their conversation evolved.
Caleb: (Looking at the phone, trying to "see" Garrett.)
Garrett: Cay-bo? Hi Cay-bo!
Caleb: Dahrett! (To me) Mommy! It's Dahrett!
Garrett: (Narrating his observations of the tarmac from the window near their gate.) Oh! The airpwane is moving really faster! Five airpwanes moving really faster, Cay-bo!
Caleb: (Narrating his actions as he tucked his baby doll under his blanket.) My bee-bee and my bandie!
Garrett: This pwane going really faster -- up the skwy! Wow. It going really faster!
Caleb: (Checking the phone again to try to "see" Garrett.)
Garrett: Wow! That pwane fwying up the skwy going really faster!
Caleb: (Laughing.)
Garrett: (To Blake) Dad! Look that pwane!
There is a brief shuffling as Blake apparently takes the phone back.
Caleb: (To me) Daddy!
I take that as my cue to take my phone back as well.
***
After all strands of phone conversations were over, I asked Caleb if he knew where Garrett was. "In bed," he confidently told me.
"No," I replied. "Garrett's on an airplane."
"Wow," he said, his voice filled with awe because apparently, even after hearing all of Garrett talk of flying aircraft, he still had no idea.
"Yeah, he's flying to Grandma's house."
"Grandma house? Wow."
Later, over breakfast, Caleb kept pointing to the ceiling, and then, after a bit of prompting from me, to the sky outside the kitchen window, saying, "Garrett up there! A plane! Up up up!" So apparently something regarding Garrett's absence has clicked.
***
I'm not particularly looking forward to the next several days of a nearly empty, very quiet house, but I am looking forward to eavesdropping in on more phone conversations between Garrett and Caleb.
It will also be interesting to see what their time apart will be like. So far Caleb is living it up, happily playing with toys and even more happily not sharing them with his bossy big brother. And Garrett meanwhile is, I'm sure, talking 'til he's blue in the face about the awesomeness of aircraft.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is so, so cute but really? All I can think about is how happy I am for you to have a car again and not have to take public transit to church every week!
I love spending time with my boys together, but sometimes I feel more like a referee than anything else. I cherish those little moments, whether it's five minutes or five days, when I'm with one boy by themselves. Lately, Little Sal loves to go VT with me. I love it. I love spending that time walking with him to see those I visit. Just us. I think you'll really enjoy this time with Caleb.
Too funny! Those boys are so darn cute! We are so excited to Garrett (and Blake, of course) for a day! I know Lydia is going to be following him around like a puppy dog. Too fun!
Post a Comment