I've long suspected that he had a problem, but I didn't fully realize just how severe it was until the other night when Garrett placed a pretend, albeit very business-like, phone call on a homemade paper phone. He read off a few numbers, thanked whoever was on the other end for his time, then hung up with an audible click.
"Who was that?" I asked.
"The Stack of Paper Man," he replied most matter-of-factly. "I need more stacks of paper."
"Stacks of paper" in this instance meant Post-It notes, but it also, and usually more frequently, refers to 8.5 x 11" white printer paper, which he goes through in the most extravagant manner.
He doesn't use the paper to draw or color, except for the occasional note painstakingly written in pencil using the only letters and symbols he's able to confidently and independently reproduce. ("I H O A T E C $," they typically say, in a variety of different constructions.) Also employed less frequently are the safety scissors, used to cut the paper into teeny tiny bits, which often become "food" for his stuffed dog.
No, Garrett's preferred use of our household "stacks of paper" is to roll them into telescopes, then crumple them carefully to pinch them closed. From there they become anything and everything: construction vehicles, airplanes, train tracks, tool sets, chopsticks, swords and hooks (a la Peter Pan), hiking sticks, brooms, water hoses -- you name it.
By the end of the day, our small apartment is littered with his rolled up paper creations, nearly all of which end up in our paper recycling basket when it's finally time to clean up. We seriously go through paper faster than a copy machine.
So my child has a paper addiction, and the fact that during his bedtime prayers on the night he called the Stack of Paper Man, he prayed that his paper order would come soon only confirms it. Anyone know of a rehab center?
(By the way, his prayers were answered this morning when we made a trip to Staples for another ream of paper. He set to work devouring this new stack as soon as we got home.)
13 comments:
My kids have a similar addiction. S's is for notes to every one and their dog and for stories.
He and Kennedy could be best friends. She goes through REAMS of paper and it's everywhere. But somehow I can't stop her when it keeps her so busy and is clearly such a healthy, constructive outlet. She's getting a box of paper for her birthday. No lie. Maybe some othe stuff, but she'll love the paper the most.
Did you drive?
Nope, didn't drive -- the car is currently in an awesome parking spot and I didn't want to move it. ;) Besides, Staples isn't that far away.
Do you remember when Chelsea made a desk lamp out of paper? I think she gave it to Dad so he could use it at work.
:)
Ha ha! Until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten about that, Katie! I guess it's in his genes. :)
I remember doing paper crimping projects with my grandma when I was little. I don't remember what all it entailed but I made turtles and flowers and a few other things. That may be something to look into.
I remember that lamp. :)
Paper has to be in his genes. His Uncle Riley works for Avery Denison.:) Maybe Riley could hook him up?
That's precisely why we have a limit on sheets of paper Christopher is allowed to use each day! He'll be getting his own ream of paper for his birthday.
That is hilarious! Loved reading this post and I love that Garrett even prayed for more paper! Too cute!
I gave Ben a ream of paper for his birthday and another one for Christmas. We have the same problem. But it's not that much of a problem because I love seeing him be so creative and love that it's really not that expensive. I enjoyed seeing all the creative things Garrett does with paper!
Garrett and I share an addiction. My friends in middle school used to say that they could lock me in a room with paper, scissors and tape and I could entertain myself for days. it's true. I could show him a few tricks. also, if he's not opposed to alternatives to white printer paper, newspapers and weekly ads work really well too (and they're free).
Post a Comment