After visiting Santa at Macy's, we walked up ritzy 5th Avenue to see this year's department store holiday windows. We do this every year, but this was the first that we went in the middle of the afternoon. The weather was mild, and it was nice to have some daylight for our walk. And, what's more, the crowds were so manageable, they were almost non-existent (by NYC tourist trap standards, that is). That alone made doing it earlier a much better option for us. Of course, going earlier didn't prevent the inevitable meltdowns that are bound to occur on any family outing, but at least we embarrassed ourselves in front of fewer people.
Since we were already there, we started at Macy's, then hopped over to Fifth Avenue and walked north, stopping at: Lord and Taylor, Rockefeller Center Plaza, Saks, Tiffany & Co., and finally, Bergdorf Goodman. The displays didn't seem to be full of their usual pizazz, which is perhaps a sign that we're still in the thick of an economic recession and that even the very wealthy are feeling a bit of the pinch. But they were still lovely and detailed, and, even despite the moment when Caleb completely flipped out in the middle of the always crowded Rockefeller Center Plaza, I'm glad we went.
Macy's
Lord & Taylor
It's a long walk from Lord & Taylor (38th St.) to Rockefeller Center (50th St.), so Garrett and Caleb switched places -- several times -- as we made our way north.
Rockefeller Center
The tree this year is the fifth one I've seen up close and in person. It is also, I think, the prettiest.
Also, those crowds? Compared to previous years we've been, I'd call that plaza practically empty.
The tree this year is the fifth one I've seen up close and in person. It is also, I think, the prettiest.
Also, those crowds? Compared to previous years we've been, I'd call that plaza practically empty.
Saks 5th Avenue
Tiffany & Co.
Bergdorf Goodman
We didn't make it over a few avenues to the east to see the last two big department store windows. This was because we weren't interested in the Lady Gaga display (at Barney's) and the boys had just about had it (and we'd just about had it with the boys) to trek all the way over to Third Avenue to see Bloomingdales'. Maybe next year.





5 comments:
Good call on avoiding the Lady Gaga display. Those are beautiful displays though. This morning on the radio they were just talking about how malls in general don't put nearly as much into their Christmas decorating as they did many, many years ago. I actually thought that maybe New York might be the best place for that Christmas magic these days. Looks pretty fantastic to me!
That looks like something I would enjoy. Thanks for sharing! (Such beautiful decorations!)
Lovely! Maybe someday Frank and I will make it back to see them in person again, but glad we can live through your pictures in the meantime! :)
That is so cool. The stores around here don't do that. Or at least I haven't seen any in the past few years.
The best part for me was leaning in for a closer look at the Tiffany's windows and then realizing that I smelled real pine boughs.
Post a Comment