Yesterday I was afforded the rare opportunity to take care of a few longer distance errands without my children in tow. My first stop was the optical to take care of an issue regarding my new eyeglasses. As I stood waiting on one side of the counter, the employee helping me from the other side struck up that conversation of small talk so familiar to pregnant women. "When are you due?" she asked. And then, "Is this your first?"
Since my boys were not with me, the latter was a fair question, and she, thanks to the typically small family sizes this city produces, was surprised when I answered, "No, my third."
My business there was wrapped up shortly after, and consequently, so was our conversation. But as I moved on to my next stops, it got me thinking. Is that the general assumption? That this pregnant belly will result in my first child? I'm sure it is, especially when I'm among strangers and not toting Garrett and Caleb around with me. But as I was riding the subway home, I looked down into my shopping bags and realized that I don't need those boys to tell the world that this is not my first baby. The proof can be found in my purchases.
For example, here are a few of the things I was toting home with me:
- A child's white dress shirt, size 5 (which would indicate that I have a 4- or 5-year old boy)
- A package of baby wipe refills (which would lead someone to believe that I also have a child at home in diapers)
- Two bags of goldfish crackers (can anyone say toddlers and/or preschoolers?)
- Two boxes of fruit snacks (ditto the above)
- A family-sized package of toothpaste (there are more sets of teeth at home to take care of than just those belonging to my husband and I)
So there you go. Not my first baby. And while I'll admit that this fact is a lot more obvious when Garrett and Caleb are with me, it should also be noted that leaving them at home makes me look a lot less crazy to be growing another one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have grown to love the moment when people ask me if this is my first baby... because if I'm out without my kids, people always do. "No, my sixth..." People seriously think I'm joking. I get it... Six kids before one turns 31 isn't all that common, at least not in THIS part of the country. It's a fun moment, the wide eyes and dropped jaws. Sixth?!! Heh.
Even with no kids I buy goldfish and fruit snacks on a fairly regular basis. They'rs just yummy!
I always enjoy people's reactions to the number of children I have... especially when they are not with me. Or if I only have a few with me. The best was when I was pregnant this last time and my doc had a new nurse. She was certain that I was having my first... and that I was not old enough to have 4 :)
Post a Comment