wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, December 18, 2011

je me souviens

This time each year marks the sudden appearance of cars in the neighborhood with license plates from Quebec. It took me until this weekend to realize that they all belong to French Canadian Christmas tree salesmen. Sure enough, when we went to the corner tree lot set up on the sidewalk outside Rite Aid, we were approached by two scruffy Quebecois with thick accents and an unusual affinity for plaid flannel who showed us around their selection of evergreens. We picked a lovely, and incredibly fragrant, 4 foot Douglas Fir -- the largest tree we've ever purchased! -- and hauled it home where Garrett and Caleb eagerly set to trimming it and, once they'd finished, admiring it.


They are both absolutely thrilled to have a Christmas tree in their own house! (They are, in the very apt words of my mother, "worked up to a fevered pitch of anticipation" for Christmas this year.) And I'm thrilled to help provide that excitement. If their enthusiasm this year is as long lasting as they daily lead me to believe it will be, this will no doubt be a Christmas they'll always remember.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Love the picture of them on the floor!!!!

JoEllen said...

They're so cute on the floor admiring their tree. I even see a "baby" in there! Too cute!!

heath said...

Very cute little tree. And I like the stockings hanging on the bookshelf. Ours are currently on the floor by the fireplace, since I refuse to put nails anywhere near the fireplace and I have nothing else that will hold them up. Maybe I should move them to our bookshelf though . . .

vdg family said...

How fun! They'll love these pictures in the future!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Love the tree! Wish I was getting a real one this year...