wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, April 4, 2011

conference projects

General Conference this weekend was wonderful, as usual, and (also as usual) the messages given were exactly what I needed to hear.

Apparently I can focus on Conference better (and avert drifting off into dreamland) when my hands are occupied. During the sessions where Caleb was napping and Garrett was watching at the chapel with Blake, I worked on a few projects to a backdrop of prophetic counsel. First up are what I like to call "Airplane Survival Kits," which were based on an idea I saw a few months back.

We have a big trip to Utah coming up soon where we plan to spend lots of time with family and attend the wedding festivities of my sister, Katie. In preparation for this, I have spent the last few weeks collecting small toys and trinkets that could double as diversions for the boys on our flight. I've wrapped each item individually in crepe paper (green for one boy, yellow for the other) so there will be an element of surprise as well as distraction.


Each boy will get to unwrap the following while we are en route from JFK to SLC:
  • 3 small animal figurine toys
  • a small notebook
  • a pencil
  • a treat
  • a calculator (They are both obsessed with pushing buttons and could spend a ridiculous amount of time playing with these while subsequently looking like mini-geeks.)
They each get their own bag to take with them on the airplane.


Who knows if these will actually work, but it can't hurt to at least try to be prepared, right? Our flight is also scheduled for the late evening, and my fingers are crossed that they'll sleep for at least the latter half.

***

Also, I can't stop making these little Japanese bound books.

vintage luggage labels

Audubon bird illustrations

The bird ones are my favorite. Aren't they pretty?

11 comments:

Emily said...

I love the vintage travel books! Very cool. Seriously, is there nothing you can't do? You're amazing! I just re-read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn--you gave me a copy for my birthday in 2000 and it had the nicest inscription from you on the front page. As usual, the book is absolutely amazing! Thanks again:)

Sarah said...

Love the bird illustrations.

I have always wanted to have a series of framed Audubon Bird illustrations. Or flowers. Or both!

erin said...

Are you using a text block or are all your papers loose sheets that you're putting together?

I miss bookbinding. I'm going to be making a book for my sister's wedding so I guess that means I'll at least make one book this year. lol.

AmyJane said...

I've done plane kits and car kits--they are definately worth it. Word to the wise though....consider making a bag for the journey home as well. I usually forget that part and then they're expecting it and you have nothing new. Not to mention that the trip home is usually harder anyway cause everyone's tired. Good luck with the trip!

Lindsay said...

Erin - They are all loose sheets. I just cut several sheets of 8.5x11" paper into four quarters.

AmyJane - I'm still trying to work out plans for the trip home, but they will have to be different since that leg will be a red-eye flight without the help of my husband. I really am mostly hoping that they will sleep entirely through that flight.

Kristi said...

Those bird books are really pretty. What a neat talent!

Have you thought about a portable DVD player for the way home, in case they won't sleep? We always have a laptop on us (computer programmer husband = laptop goes everywhere!) and it's helped Kate on flights before to have a movie to watch. They have little portable ones that you can rent at some airports.

Desmama said...

Seriously so talented. You should start a blog called that and I would totally read it and be insanely jealous of your talent. That's how I feel right now. Love the books. The travel kits--love those too. Darling, all of 'em. :)

heath said...

Those books are all pretty fantastic. Those would make great gifts! Man, I need to learn how to make something homemade since I am horrible at coming up with store-bought gift ideas for people.

Carrie said...

I agree that plane kits are worth it. I did one for Eli when we went to London (actually, for the return trip... should have done one for both trips). It definitely helped a LOT. I love your books! beautiful!

Peter and Mandy said...

You are so creative!

Mandy said...

I love those, and I am sure my girls would too. I will have to look it up. I love new skills to learn.