For Katie
- Pray and read scriptures together every day. I don't think we've missed a day, and even though I was occasionally half asleep while we did so, I can testify that it has made a difference in the strength of our marriage. The same applies for weekly Family Home Evenings. They don't need to be extravagant, they just need to happen.
- When you pray, both together and individually, remember to pray for each other. The bishop of our student ward who counseled with us when we were engaged encouraged us to do this. He told us to be specific in our requests for blessings for our spouse, that the more precise we were, the more our love for each other would grow. He was right.
- The honeymoon phase won't last forever, and once you've settled into a routine, you'll likely find things about him that will drive you batty. Do your best, though, to look past them. Nine times out of ten, they will be insignificant and a waste of time to dwell on.
- It's normal and okay to go to bed angry with each other, but it's not okay to go to sleep without giving each other a good night kiss.
- Love notes never get old. Neither do hugs, kisses, and telling each other "I love you."
- Find ways to surprise him. You may know him as well as you know yourself, and your routine may be comfortable, but a little something unexpected every now and then adds spice, and spices make everything taste better.
- And speaking of spices...learn to cook for him, and you will make him happy every night.
- Make your home a place you both want to be. Keep it clean, keep it bright, and keep the spirit there.
- Remember the details. Write them down. They will be fun to talk about later.
Take this advice as you will, but remember that I love you, Katie, and am so happy for you. You are embarking on a grand adventure, and as my last piece of unsolicited marriage advice, may I suggest that you remember to have fun.
(Also, happy birthday!!)
7 comments:
Great advice!!!
This is good advice for any married couple. Congratulations, Katie and a Happy Birthday!
This is good advice. And as someone who's been married for almost 3 years, but still feels like a newlywed sometimes, I'm going to renew my commitment to some of these.
Great advice Lindsay! Happy birthday to Katie and congratulations on your wedding.
Great list! The best unsolicited marriage advice I received was: Be quick to say "I'm sorry" and be quick to forgive. Also, no TV in the bedroom.
This is definitely great advice! From one married woman to another (meaning you, Lindsay) you sure know what you're talking about! Way to post about it too! I need a good reminder now and then. Thanks!
Thanks for the advice! It's great to look and and see how I'm doing too. And congrats and Happy Birthday to Katie!
Post a Comment