wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, June 20, 2014

six weeks

Daniel is now six weeks old, which means that we are also six weeks into being a family of six. (That's a whole lot of sixes!)

Six weeks old!


Life with this sweet baby is moving along just about as expected. The nights are long, and so are the days. I am so, so tired. Danny is colicky, which is unfortunate but also expected. We've been trying all our old tricks -- swaddling, bouncing, white noise, gas drops, different formula, etc., even probiotics, which is a new one this time around. They each seem to work a little, but even so still prove to me that the only "miracle cure" is time and lots and lots of patience. I am looking forward to the day he starts smiling (he's so close!), which I'm sure will help me to love him AND like him.

 Some days a sleeping baby and quality chocolate are exactly what I need to keep myself going.


My transition thus far from three to four children is going just about as expected. It's crazy and crowded and exhausting, but good just the same. I think things would have been a little easier, though, if I had a yard to send the older ones outside to play in. Between my lack of energy and the logistics of naps, appointments, school pick ups, meal prep, etc, not to mention the logistics of transporting ourselves from one place to another, make getting them outdoors and to the playground a sometimes insurmountable challenge. And if there's one place these wild boys need to be most of the time, it's outside. But we're plugging along and doing our best to accept our current state of "survival mode."

It was an epic struggle for me to get them to the park to play in the sprinklers, but they seemed to have fun, so at least the outing wasn't an epic failure.


At my six week post-partum check up this morning, I learned that my recovery is coming along just about as expected. My insides feel like they've mostly moved back to where they belong, and all the trauma of delivery has healed nicely. I have moments when I feel like I'm on top of the world, but I'm pretty sure that's just adrenalin mixed with a sprinkling of delusional wishful thinking because in reality I am so exhausted I can hardly see straight and my head won't stop spinning. It's not an issue at present (despite my occasional teary meltdown), but since I dealt with it last time, I'm on a careful watch for a resurgence of post-partum depression. On a lighter note, I had to laugh when the midwife told me that she's been getting some great mileage out of my birth story ("I mean, you took your pants off and there he was!"). But in all seriousness, when I asked her about the probability of a repeat performance next time around, she told me it was 100% likely so long as the baby is in a good position, which only further confirms to me that between now and then I need to learn how to deliver a baby myself just in case.

Oh how I wish I was getting sleep like this!


In another six weeks, I expect to be at least a little more awake and with a less colicky baby. I also expect to still be living it up survival style, but I know we'll get there when we get there.

And in the meantime, at least he's really cute!

1 comment:

Becca said...

I hope the next six weeks brings some good sleep time for you, many smiles from that sweet baby boy, and no sign of that nasty post-partum depression. You are such a lovely person. Best of luck to you!