wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, June 30, 2014

seven is heaven


Dear Garrett,

You've been waiting a long time for this day. Since the day you turned six, you've been anxious to be seven, always telling me things like, "When I turn seven, I'll be able to ...." and "I can't wait to be seven!" But it's finally here. You are seven! Happy birthday, Garrett!

You have always had an entertaining personality, but over the last year you have blossomed into a real character. The things you say never fail to intrigue me or make me chuckle. And you do not stop talking. Ever. I often find myself wondering at the mechanics at work in your brain as you think out loud in conversation.

Speaking of, these days you like are a large sponge, absorbing all sorts of fascinating facts about everything from outer space to the deepest parts of the ocean. Most of this information you learn by reading -- it is a rare thing these days to see you without your nose in a book -- while the rest of it you glean from scientific documentaries. "Science" is your current buzzword. You love to "do science," "learn about science," and you've decided that when you grow up you want to be a scientist. Whether you will specialize in astronomy or marine biology or another branch entirely has yet to be determined. Right now the world is your oyster.

I love how you are so full of ideas. You are always thinking and always creating. The way you can turn a tossed recyclable or a cut-folded-and-taped piece of paper into a work of art is incredibly creative. I am also impressed with the lists you write out of everything from things you've learned to things you want to do.

When you started me on my path to motherhood, Garrett, I had no idea how much I'd be able to love you. In a way, I still don't. But you, with your smile that is almost too big for your head, your goofy notions, and your suave dance moves, hold a very special place in my heart. No matter how big you get, you will always be my first baby, and I will always, always love you.

Love,
Mama

****

Here are a few snapshots of the birthday celebrations:

For over a year, ever since his class took a field trip to "Pizza Uno," Garrett has begged to go back. He chose to eat there with his family instead of celebrating with a birthday party with friends.

Aunt Chelsea is in town for a visit. We took her to the 9/11 Memorial.

Afterwards we rode the ferry to Governor's Island.

 There was some fun installation art meant for kids to climb around and play on. All the boys loved it.

Worn out on the subway ride home after a super fun day.

Aunt Chelsea helped decorate the cake. She used white sugar pearls to map out star constellations in the frosting.

 Seven candles!

He loved all of his gifts, which included a BYU t-shirt, a ticket to the Hayden Planetarium, the first four Magic Tree House books, and a box of his very own craft supplies. His favorite, though, was a detailed visual encyclopedia of space. He can't wait to pour over that one.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Happy birthday to Garrett! May our two June seven year olds someday meet is my fervent prayer. Amen.