Wednesday, April 24, 2013
normally abnormal
This morning's visit to the pediatrician for Matthew's 12-month well check-up was a bit of a doozy, and not just because of the big round of vaccines and the prescription for his annual blood draw that he received. Matthew is growing, there's no doubt about that. He's currently measuring in at:
Weight: 23.5 lbs
Length: 31 inches
But his inability to be able to pull himself to a stand and cruise along furniture concerned the doctor. (He was also concerned that he hasn't said a first word yet, but because of his family history, I'm not worried -- yet.) He instructed me to call the folks at Early Intervention for an evaluation and potential physical therapy services, which I did after the appointment was over. After all, it can't hurt. And I, too, am slightly concerned that he hasn't even pulled himself to his feet yet, especially given Garrett's history of delayed mobility and low muscle tone, though in Matthew's case it appears to be more of a coordination issue than one of strength. If it turns out that he doesn't qualify for services, then great; I'm not going to press the issue since I'm sure that, with some extra encouragement on our part, he'll eventually resolve things on his own.
On a related note, while we were there, I mentioned to the doctor that I was in the process of requesting an evaluation from the Committee on Preschool Special Education at the school district to investigate the possibility of speech therapy for Caleb. (He is, in case you have not had the privilege of conversing with him, highly unintelligible, despite his large vocabulary.) The doctor suggested, without, mind you, actually hearing Caleb speak, that we take him to a neurologist, since the speech issues I described sounded like the speech-related connectors in his brain were perhaps not matching up right. Or something like that. I, however, am hesitant to take this route, at least for now. In my way of thinking, a neurologist is a last resort, especially since my gut, which knows and understands Caleb much better than this doctor, tells me that it is unnecessary. But we'll see if we end up there eventually.
(Gee, all this, plus Garrett with his own history of delays and special needs, makes me wonder if I'll ever have a child who reaches basic developmental milestones in a normal way. I guess that we're just normally abnormal around these parts. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I say go with your gut. I've noticed, for me at least, that my motherly instinct rarely steers me wrong.
I agree with you. You know your boys best.I think a neuro at this point is pointless. My twins didn't even try to walk until 16 months, and now one of them runs way faster than she should. :)
That hair! It's almost glowing! I hope this doesn't sound condescending or anything but w/ love, but it seems to me like you're just the right person to have kids w/ these kind of "abnormalities." You're confident, level-headed, and hard working. And practical. Let us all know how the Caleb evaluation goes!
I wouldn't worry about the not walking yet. I'm sure it'll come soon. Our pediatrician recommended we take Connor to a speech therapist. We made the appointment and then cancelled it. He's 2 1/2 and not talking. He'll mimic whatever you say almost perfectly when we're driving, but he won't do it on demand. She also suggested a hearing test, which I didn't think we needed since the kid hears fine. I often catch him "practicing" words in front of a mirror. When he does finally say them, they are nearly flawless. Though if he doesn't stop being so stubborn soon, I'll take him into the therapist and see what they say.
Lindsey! You HAVE to read the book "The Gift of an Ordinary Day: a mother's memoir" By Katrina Kenison. It is an amazing book regardless, but listening to her journey with her son who started off life slower than most was...just beautiful. I want to buy a hundred copies and give it away like candy to mothers. :)
Agreed with Emily. Who determines what is normal anyway?
Your kids are cute and funny. what more do you need?
Kristi
Post a Comment