wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, March 29, 2013

the yard

I planted wheat grass again this year. My thumb must be getting a little greener because this time it grew in much thicker (and quite beautifully, if I may say so). It's only a shame that there isn't enough of it to run barefoot through. But even so, I've decided to claim it as my yard because it's the most grass I've had in a long time.


7 comments:

vdg family said...

It's beautiful! I love your yard and I'm still secretly praying that two years and ZAP you'll get a fabulous job offer you cannot refuse in Portland. :)

Emily said...

Awesome!

lori said...

Looks fabulous!! I tried to gow some pots with my preschoolers and it was pretty thin. What tips do you have for me??

Erin said...

The yard! That's hilarious! Are you sure the pots aren't big enough to put a bare foot in each? ;)

Lindsay said...

Lori, here is what I did: I used hard red winter wheat and soaked it for about 6 hours before I planted them. I was very generous with how many seeds I put in each container. For the first day or two I kept the seeds VERY well watered, and every day I've watered them (using a spray bottle so the seeds don't get jostled around) about 3 times. Based on how our different containers worked, I did learn that a container with drainage is important, so if the containers (cups?) you're using with your kids don't have drainage, try putting a layer of pebbles on the bottom before putting the soil in to give the water some place to drip. Anyway, hope this helps!

MOMster said...

So green and beautiful! Way to have that green thumb!!!

cherry said...

Awesome! I love it, i would love to try it too.