Sock Monkey
Many years ago my mom gave me a sock monkey kit that she herself had been hanging on to for many years. The "kit" consisted of a pair of red-heeled Rockford socks and a page of instructions that were fairly open to interpretation. When I found a hooded sock monkey fleece jacket for Matthew to wear for Halloween, I thought I'd finally try to put the kit together so he could have a prop. But then I ended up dressing him as a carrot and the sewing of the sock monkey got put on the back burner. I did, though, manage to finish it in time to give it to him for Christmas. It was a labor of trial and error (which is why the ears turned out so shrunken), but he I think it's cute anyway.
Drawstring Bags
For Christmas Caleb got a set of Melissa and Doug lacing beads that unfortunately came packaged very poorly as far as the long-term storage of them goes (the one major flaw of the otherwise pretty classy Melissa and Doug toys). I just recently figured out how to sew a basic drawstring bag and so made one to keep the wooden beads in. And then I went a little crazy and sewed more drawstring bags for the rest of the boys' puzzles and puzzle-like toys that had previously been stored in raggedy ziplock bags. Seriously, I whipped out like five more -- for the bean bags, letter magnets, lacing cards, and two puzzles whose boxes had long since been destroyed. I didn't take a picture of the others, but you can take my word for it that they're cute.
Treasure Bags
I didn't sew these bags (though after all the practice I got making the others, I easily could have). No, these I found in the gift wrap department of The Container Store (one of my favorite places to browse) when I was in search of some sort of container for the boys to keep their "treasures" in (so I didn't have to keep looking at/tripping over them). I did, however, do the lettering on them. I cheated and used a font as my guide, but I'm still pretty pleased with how they turned out. I may be the daughter of a pretty amazing calligrapher, but I have a long way to go before I catch up to her talent. At any rate, the boys love them and I love that they hide all their random special things.
Cloth Blocks
My sister-in-law made a set of these for her daughter for Christmas, and Matthew spent most of his time at Grandma's house playing with them. So, using leftover fabric from his baby blanket, I made him a set of his own. In addition to batting, I also stuffed in a crinkly grocery bag and a jingle bell into each one. He loves them.
Chalkboard Mat
While we were in San Antonio at Christmas we spent a day in and around Fredericksburg, and while we were there, I managed to squeeze in a stop to my favorite Main Street shop, Things in a Room. This is where I swooned over the vintage Moda tablecloths (and where I convinced Blake to buy me one for my birthday). It is also where I ultimately spent nearly all of my saved up trip money buying fabric from their discount bin. I also bought a yard of chalkboard cloth onto which, using some of the fabric I found, I sewed a binding on around it to make a big chalkboard mat to help ease the boys' symptoms of cabin fever this winter. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to and has already several times served the exact purpose I intended it for.
There are still a few more projects waiting in my pile, and I'm still house bound with sick kids and cold weather, so I'd better go get back to work.
8 comments:
Nicely done Lindsay!
Wow, you've been busy!!! I love the projects and it sure does help when it's too cold or snowy to go outside!
Awesome. Inspiring, actually. They look great!
Those all are so cute! I went to the container store for the first time last week. I'm definitely in love! What did you use to write the letters on the canvas bags?
I just used a permanent Sharpie marker. I figured that would be fine (as opposed to a fabric marker) since I wasn't planning on having to wash them ever (with the use the boys have already given them, they'll probably disintegrate before I ever think to clean them...). The material is muslin, so I put an index card in between the two layers of fabric so that the marker wouldn't bleed through.
LOVE the chalkboard mat. It's so big! It's awesome. Job well done!!!
Great projcts! I love the treasure bags. My kiddos need something like that. We have an awful lot of treasures floating around our house. I really like the calkboard mat too. What a great idea and the size is perfect.
I started making making drawstring bags for my boys little collections, too. It started with a desperately needed one for Finn's Thomas train collection. He literally carries that bag everywhere now.
Post a Comment