In case you hadn't noticed, I don't live the sort of New York City lifestyle that affords for many fine dining experiences. But the other night, thanks to Restaurant Week and my friend's good sense to organize a group reservation, I dined at the city's very first fine dining establishment.
Delmonico's.
Have you heard of them? They're pretty famous. The establishment is 175 years old, and is responsible for the restaurant experience as we know it today. According to their website, they were the first diner to seat guests at their own table, the first to set those tables with tablecloths, and the first to offer a printed menu, among other things.
They have served the likes of Theodore Roosevelt, Charles Dickens, J. P. Morgan, Mark Twain, and Edward VII.
It is the original home to such dishes as lobster Newberg, eggs Benedict, Manhattan style clam chowder, baked Alaska, and Delmonico style potatoes and steak.
And, oh, it is good. Definitely worth the pretty penny patrons fork over for the experience of eating there. Because it is an experience, and one that I highly recommend. (But may I suggest that unless you want to spend $75+ on a meal, eat there during Restaurant Week when the same experience will cost a pre-fixed price of $35.)
As an appetizer I ordered the wedge salad (Jasper Hill blue cheese, North Country apple-wood bacon, red onion, and tomato). For my entre I chose filet mignon (medium well and with sides of seasonal vegetables and Delmonico potatoes). And for dessert I ate Valhrona chocolate cake (with black currant butter cream) along with a few bites of some shared baked Alaska (walnut cake, apricot jam, banana gelato, and meringue). Oh it was divine! I did my best to savor each bite, but it was so delicious that it disappeared all too quickly.
What a fun evening out spent in the company of some really fun people! It's outings like these that serve to remind me that there's a lot more to this city than I get to experience on a typical day.
Thursday, August 9, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
What a great experience! And a girls night out... even better!
All of that food sounds amazing!!! Now I'm wishing I had gone! When's the next Restaurant Week?
Yum!
How fun! My sister was here last year during restaurant week and went to Delmonico's. I was so jealous!
Post a Comment