wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

four months


Dear Matthew,

At four months, you are doing a lot:
  • A lot of drooling, which is why your shirts are always completely soaked.
  • A lot of sleeping. You sleep a solid 12 hours every night, and your daytime sleep schedule has also become more predictable.
  • A lot of settling in. You have fallen into a routine that I can typically count on day to day.
  • A lot of smiling and giggling. You are happier these days and consequently more playful.
  • A lot of talking. Well, cooing, anyway. There are times when you have an awful lot you'd like to say.
  • A lot of growing. I won't know your exact measurements for a few more days, but even though you are satisfied with four (unthickened) 6-ounce bottles a day, you are packing on the pounds. I think it's safe to say that you'll be wearing 9 month sized clothes well before you are 9 months old. But those cheeks -- oh, those cheeks are worth every ounce!
  • A lot of splashing. You love bathtime, especially now that you've learned how fun it is to kick in the water.
  • A lot of watching. You keep close tabs on your brothers and their silly antics as they move wildly around the room.
  • A lot of practice at developing patience. As I suppose is to be expected of the third child, you put up with a lot of poking and prodding by your big brothers who are as enamored with you as you seem to be of them.
  • A lot of thumb sucking. Your thumb is usually as slobbery as your shirtfront. 
In addition to all this, this month you also moved to the crib. The transition to sharing a room with your brothers has not been as daunting as I feared, and though there have been a few obstacles to overcome, before too much longer you'll be scheming with them in their attempts to stall bedtime.

You have the ability to brighten some of my otherwise more difficult days, and for that I will always be grateful. I love you, my sweet, sweet boy!

Love,
Mama

3 comments:

Katie said...

He looks like one happy, healthy, chubby baby boy! :)

Kiersten said...

12 hours at night. That sounds amazing, can't wait til we get there!

He is so adorable and I'm glad things are going well!

MOMster said...

I can't believe he sleeps for 12 hours a night! Wow! I could only DREAM of that with any of my children. I love Matthew's chubby arms and cheeks. He's so cute!