wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

the ultimate consumer


Garrett is every retailer's dream. He is the ultimate consumer (or would be, if he had more money than the few pennies he occasionally finds on the ground). He pours over the weekly ads, drools over commercials, and announces quite frequently, "Ooh, Mom! I want to buy that!" Here are a few examples of his enthusiasm for some of the goods currently available on the market.


After casually perusing the weekly ad for a local grocery store, Garrett announced that we needed to buy, "macaroni and cheese, [spaghetti] sauce, and chocolate pudding," pointing to the picture of each item as he did. Only it turned out that this declaration was not as random as I initially thought. He hung onto that page of the ad for three days (and would have for longer, had Caleb not eventually torn it up), reminding me every chance he could that we needed to go to that store to buy that "macaroni and cheese, some sauce, and chocolate pudding."

***

This morning, after he got off the school bus, Garrett picked up a department store ad from the pile of them on our stoop. As soon as we were inside, and he'd shed his coat, backpack, shoes, and socks, he settled in at the kitchen table pour over its contents. When I came into the room to make lunch, he told me, "Mom! I find you some perfect good new watches that you like! Oh, and I buy you a new pink purse and a new necklace and more necklace and more necklace and more necklace, and more make-up, and that's it."

***

In January, when he was in Texas, he became enamored with the refrigerator (and particularly its built-in ice maker) and big bathtub at Grandma's house. I was told of several conversations he had with Grandma Joyce regarding how awesome he thought they both were, the script of each apparently went something like this: "Oh! I like your fridge/ice machine/bathtub! Where you buy it? I tell my dad to buy one!"


I'm not sure when he decided we were swimming in extra cash (because that is something we most certainly are not), but it sure is funny watching his attempts to live large. I get the feeling that money, when he eventually does have some, will burn big holes in his little pockets.

5 comments:

heath said...

I love this. Sounds like he could be quite the suave salesman: "Perfect good new watches!" Does he like actual shopping though? I loved looking through catalogs as a child, but I've never liked actual shopping; thus, I've always been pretty good at not spending all my money (except when I didn't have much money to speak of).

Joyce said...

Love this boy! And, don't forget the cruise he is planning to take.

Peter and Mandy said...

What a cute kid you have.

Desmama said...

Aw, I think it's so sweet that he was thinking of all the lovely things he would buy you. Darling little boy.

Carrie said...

I love this post! So cute and so funny. Eli is the same, in that he wants everything, but not so cute in his declaration. Usually it's just, "Mom, I want all of these toys for my birthday," as we walk down the aisle at Target.