wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

a taste of the suburbs

Caleb devoted a good amount of energy last week to begging to go for a ride in the car. He used the same soft, whiny voice he uses to tell me he's hungry, which is always difficult to resist. And so on Saturday we piled into our 4-wheeled novelty and hit the road. We headed east, to Long Island, partly because we were already familiar with the roads (we take that route to go both to church and to the airport), and partly because there were no tolls.

In addition to the thrill of a car ride, at my request we also ran a few errands. First up was a Target located about an hour away from our house. Now, I'm unspeakably pleased to have relatively easy access to my inner-city Target, but oh, how I adore a Target in the suburbs. On this visit we took the rare opportunity to buy big items -- toilet paper and family-sized bags of Malt-o-Meal cereal -- that I can't buy at our Brooklyn Target for the sole reason that I can't realistically haul them home.

Afterward, we drove a few more miles to a nearby JoAnn Fabric -- the closest one to us that didn't require a toll. ($13 to cross the Verrazano Bridge to get to the one only five miles away in Staten Island?! I don't think so. To date I've still never been to the one at this location because even without a car and the accompanying ridiculous toll it would require a 2-hour bus ride to get there. So close, yet so far away, which is why a visit to JoAnn is kind of exciting.) My mission there was to find and purchase fabric to make a baby quilt for Number 3. It was a frazzling experience, as any Saturday afternoon trip to a fabric store with three boys in tow is wont to be, but we came away with some great stuff. Want a sneak peak?


Would you believe me if I told you that Blake was responsible for most of what we came away with? Because he was. Apparently he has a hidden talent for finding coordinating fabric.

I'm planning to make a strip quilt (something akin to this one), and since I pre-washed the fabric this morning, I could technically get started any time. I don't know that I will, though. With the exception of the realization that at some point I will have to get ready for the arrival of this baby, my overwhelming exhaustion is not yet being ignored by a desire to nest.

We wrapped up our visit to the suburbs with ice cream from Friendly's. It was gloriously messy, and even though we, and the boys in particular, were tired, there was more laughter at our table than tears.

To even further the deliciousness of our taste of the suburbs, when we got back to Brooklyn, there was a parking spot waiting for us right in front of our building. It was as if, for a brief moment, we had our very own driveway.

Someday.

Someday.

8 comments:

heath said...

I'm so glad for you to have a car! Here's to having perfect parking spots the rest of your time in Brooklyn (however long that may be).

Kiersten said...

Oh, I love the quilt pattern you are thinking of! I decided a few days ago that I want to sew a quilt for our baby. I have never quilted before... I will probably be giving you a call sometime soon for some pointers so I can decide how feasible this is going to be!

Carrie said...

Sounds like a great day! I love your quilt fabric and pattern. Have fun creating!

Kimberly said...

How fun to be able to go on a drive like that now! I wish I had a JoAnn's that close to me. Our closest is about 40 miles away. Yet I make the trip at least every other month because I just HAVE to make some projects. Somehow I always forget things that I need though and have to go back again. Sigh.
Anyhow, the quilt idea looks adorable! I've decided that as much as I love quilts, I have too many other things I want to make that it just isn't all possible. I'm excited to see your final project! (Especially the little one in your tummy!)
It was so great getting to talk/see y'all lastnight! We need to do that more often! Sorry Lydia was such a stinker. She actually threw up a little while after we talked to y'all, so I'm guessing she was just complaining about a stomach ache. I hope she'll get better at communicating these things soon!
Anyhow, love y'all and take care!

Erin said...

Westchester is calling! I've got a driveway and a toll-less Joann 10 miles away! :)

Joyce said...

Love the quilt fabric! Didn't know Blake had that talent. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Peter and Mandy said...

Awesome curbside parking. Those look like cute fabrics too.

GR82BAMOM said...

Congrats again on the car! Yippee! Now that you have wheels, I do hope you will someday have the time to come visit us. ;)