wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, February 24, 2012

the winter break that wasn't

Garrett has been out of school this week for winter break, and to keep myself (and my lowered energy levels) from completely dreading the change in our routine, I planned a few activities to keep us all entertained (and me from losing my mind). Unfortunately, as you'll see below, things didn't go quite as expected.


Things We Planned to Do but Didn't:
  • Take advantage of the pay-as-you-wish hours to visit the Children's Museum of the Arts in Manhattan. I've heard awesome things about this place, and thought the boys would enjoy going, but, as you'll see if you continue reading, the stars did not align for a visit this week.
  • Enjoy the unseasonably warm weather. We've had some seriously beautiful days this week -- sunny and warm. But nearly all of our attempts to go outside were thwarted by unscheduled naps.
  • Play with friends. We did a little at the beginning of the week, when we made Mardi Gras masks with Emily, Elizabeth, and the triplets, but spending time with other children was soon no longer an option.


Things We Didn't Plan to Do but Did Anyway:

  • After the minor colds the boys seemed to have been recovering from evolved into gunky, pink eyes, we made an impromptu visit to the doctor where...
  • ...both Garrett and Caleb (and their respective Hundleys, who came along for the ride) were diagnosed with conjunctivitis. Which is why we've all been quarantined.
  • Somehow, in between administering eye drops to the boys and lots of hand sanitizer to myself, I managed to get my baby quilt top sewn. It looks really cute right now -- I just hope I don't ruin anything when I attempt to quilt it and attach the binding.
  • We made snickerdoodles (well, I made; my contagious boys just watched) because, well, after a long, mostly miserable week like this, we deserved them. I tried out this recipe, as posted on Our Best Bites, which was a little different from the one I usually use, hoping that they really would turn out soft and chewy instead of hard and crunchy like mine usually turn out to be. I think this new recipe is a keeper.


Things We Planned To Do and Still Did:

  • My only wish for the long holiday weekend was to drive to a real supermarket -- one with aisles wider than the width of my shoulders, better sale prices, and more selection -- to do my weekly grocery shopping. This was accomplished, and it was glorious -- even with tired, whiny children in tow.
  • My friend and stylist, Christy, came over and gave us all haircuts. I love that everyone is trimmed up and looking neat again, but I think I love even more the fact that Caleb actually sat still (and mostly willingly) for his and did not kick or scream once. That, my friends, was a President's Day miracle.
  • I attended the first gathering of our promising new book group. Emily and I had tried once before a few years ago to get one off the ground, but it fizzled almost as soon as it started. I have high hopes, however, that this one will take off. We read the book Sky Burial, which was absolutely fascinating, and discussed it over ice cream at Cold Stone. Next month's book is The Middle Place, which we have on good authority is as funny as it is interesting.
  • Garrett stayed home from school, which, as it turned out, was something he would have done anyway had he not already had a few scheduled days off. Here's hoping his spring break is a little more healthy.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Welcome back to the blog. Sure love you.

Carrie said...

Ugh! Pink eye! I'm glad it happened on days that you already knew that Garrett would be home, but I'm sorry that it ruined your planned fun.