wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, November 17, 2011

the truth about the first trimester

About a month ago, in a conversation with a nurse, I was reminded that the goal of the first trimester is just to get through the first trimester. How true that is! This time around, though, that has not been an easy task.

First, there's the nausea, which this time hit me several weeks sooner than my other two pregnancies. It's been unpleasant, as it always is, but I've managed because, well, that's all you can do, right? Unfortunately all the nausea of the last few months has been punctuated by minor, but almost constant illnesses. It started with the head cold I always get slammed with during the week I learn I'm pregnant, and was followed by the cough that wouldn't die. And then came more sniffles and sneezes before I was knocked over by a round of stomach flu.

In between all that the boys both got hit with a bizarre cold-like viral infection that ended in the breakout of an even more bizarre rash. Caleb got it first, and when I took him to the doctor I was told it was just a virus and that since the rash had appeared he was no longer contagious and on the mend. A few days later Garrett was sent home from school after breaking out in the same rash. Even though I was pretty sure he had the same non-threatening virus his brother had, a doctor's note was required so he could return to school, so we made another visit to the pediatrician.

The appointment took a turn for the worse when the doctor, with a concerned look on his face, asked if anyone the boys had been around was pregnant. I told him that I was, at which point his brow furrowed with even more worry. His concern was that this virus was Fifth Disease, non-threatening enough in a child, but potentially fatal for an unborn baby. Blood tests were ordered and the wait for the results commenced. Happily, after two days of intense anxiety, we received the wonderful news that it was, in fact, just a bizarre virus and not Fifth Disease. We all breathed a huge sigh of relief as we renewed our hope for the healthy development of this baby.

Illness is an obnoxious thing to add to the difficulties of early pregnancy, but the biggest struggle I've dealt with so far, however, has been the onset of anxiety and depression. I didn't realize that depression affected pregnant women pre-partem, but apparently it does and is not uncommon. In the first few weeks of pregnancy, I started having panic attacks, which scared me into seeking medical help. (Also, feeling so miserably blue day after day after day was starting to get old, but I just didn't know how to pull myself out of it.) I don't necessarily want to delve here into the details and particulars, but I will say that these issues are likely the result of crazy early pregnancy hormones, our current lifestyle, and, as one doctor I saw put it, the fact that I have a very full plate right now. I eventually found my way to a really great therapist. It's quite a schlep up to her office in Manhattan, but the thing I appreciate most about her is that she is LDS, which has been nothing but beneficial as I've unloaded my burdens on her couch and listened to her advice, which has often been spiritual in nature.

Things are not fixed yet, but they are improving. It's still hard to find the desire to get up in the mornings and face a new day and I'm not sure yet how I'll mange to ride out the coming winter, but now, thanks to my therapist's recommendation, I have my daily sit next to my Happy Lite to look forward to, and that helps. I also have great support from family and friends, which has been nothing less than a lifesaver. The [mostly] lovely, sunny weather we've been having during this late fall has also been very helpful.

So things are slowly getting better, and I'm hoping they continue on that track, especially as my whacked out hormones start to level out a little. As a part of our process to improve our current lifestyle (and make welcoming a third child to our home and life in Brooklyn a little more feasible), we are looking to buy a car. After over four years of living here without one, we've decided that it's time. Hopefully we'll find something soon. (So if any of you out there know of a good quality, low-cost vehicle that would fit three children and their required carseats in the back row, please let me know!) Right now we're leaning toward Subarus, either a Forester or an Outback, but we'll take what we can get that meets our requirements.

Despite the emotional and physical roller-coaster I've been riding for the last few months, I really am more thrilled than terrified at the opportunity to welcome another child into our family (even though, if you catch me at a bad moment, I might not admit that). There will no doubt be more bumps and hurdles to get over before all is said and done, but I have a feeling that we'll come out okay in the end.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

You will be in my prayers.
You will make it.

Whitney said...

1) I need a happy lite. Seriously.

2) Soooooo glad it wasn't Fifth Disease!

3) I had a number 3, but I'll just talk to you tomorrow on the train.

Erin said...

I can SO very much relate! I too was inexplicably depressed during my last pregnancy. It was very hard! I didn't feel like I could talk to anyone about it. I had never heard of a pregnant women being depressed before and if I did tell people I was down in the dumps and consumed with anxiety, they acted like there was something wrong with me and I shouldn't be anything but overjoyed to be pregnant. I remember one friend frequently telling me, in a very dismissive tone, "Oh, everything will be okay." It was so terribly frustrating!

I definitely thought there was something wrong with me. Even after I had my baby, it took me quite awhile to find a good place. But the good news is that now that I can look back from the other side, I would do it all again!

I'm very glad that you have found yourself someone that can help you. I just muddled through but really should have sought help as well.

I'm wishing you tons and tons of good luck!!!

AmyJane said...

Oh, man. What a rocky ride. The beginning of my third pregnancy was similar. I was pregnant sick nonstop for about 5 months. We only had one car, which Sean took to work every day. We had just moved and I had no support network. It rained nonstop for 49 days that fall. We were sick, sick, sick. My world crashed down around my ears and I was terrified to add another child to that mess.

That being said, it did get better. It really did. And that baby....oh, I don't know what I'd do without my Maren-girl. Worth it, but a hard road in between. And now we're staring down the barrel of getting a started on pregnancy #4 and I'm scared to death, so I hear you loud and clear.

lori said...

Oh, my friend! What difficult times! It sounds like you are handling everything so wisely! You will be in my heart!

heath said...

I think it's so good that you've asked for the help you need. I think we want so much to just feel like ourselves and we will and will ourselves to snap out of it--and when we can't, we berate ourselves for not being the ideal image we expect ourselves to be. I'm sorry to hear that things are rough, but I hope the light and the therapy and getting beyond the nausea all help!

FoxyJ said...

I definitely had depression and anxiety during my last pregnancy, made worse by an extremely stressful house-buying process. Not fun at all.

The car we bought a few years ago is a Kia Rondo and I love it and highly recommend it. It's a 'crossover' that is the size of a regular car but seats 7 people. It actually is pretty comfortable and we really have fit 7 adults in it before. Everyone who gets in it can't believe how comfortable it is. It has four doors and a hatch back; the middle seat fits 3 and there are rear seats that fold up to seat 2 more. Right now I have 2 kids in seats in the middle seat and a 3rd in the rear seat. I've been in love with my car since we bought it a few years ago. Another similar car is the Mazda 5, which is like a very small minivan and seats six people. We know a few people who have them and they all love them.

Amy said...

As wrong as this might sound, this post is actually kind of encouraging. We've been wanting a #3 for quite some time now and it just hasn't been happening for us. I have also been feeling pretty down in the dumps and much sadder than I'm used to the last few weeks. Maybe that's an encouraging sign about #3? Here's to hoping! And here's to you feeling better and better and welcoming another super cute little blondie into your family! :)

Kristi said...

Oh, Lindsay, what a rough patch! I was crazy depressed for the first 6 months I was pregnant with Megan. I felt lonely and picked on and overworked and underpaid and taken for granted and like I would never be able to handle 2 kids and like I was barely keeping it together and was a terrible mother. The good in that, though, was that I reached out. I told my VTers that I was lonely and miserable and found out they were, too. And the more women I talked with, they were all feeling lonely and miserable. So we started a group to get out of the house more often, to give us a fun group of people and (equally, if not more important, I think) something to look forward to.

I also started taking krill oil, which helps boost my mood. Seriously, if I run out and don't take it for a week or more, we all notice it. (Fish oil is often recommended by therapists or docs to help depression. Krill oil is much more potent and doesn't leave you burping fish.)

It didn't all get better overnight, but I came out with some good friends in my ward because we could be real with each other. I was also really afraid that I wouldn't bond with my baby with how down I had been - not true. I adored her at her first breath.

Glad you're seeing a therapist and have a plan to be more mobile. Hopefully you've already had your share of sickness for this winter. :)

Jill said...

First friend of mine...

YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!!! I can think of nothing that would benefit the world more than another little you/Blake combo running about doing good! What exciting and wonderful news!! I was soooooooo excited to tell John but Facebook already did! Ha! We're so happy for you all!!! Yea!!!!!

Second...

Glad to see your using the resources Heavenly Father put on this earth to help us navigate through life! My motto... "If you need help, get it!" So many times we need help, and there are so many resources available to us. That said I'm very sorry you've been having a hard time. The blues stink!

Third...

I NEED to see all you ladies and soon! I'll make it happen! I miss you and your little boys!

Yea for new life, for families, for great therapists, for Heavenly Father's plan - including all the growth inducing bumps!

CONGRATS AGAIN!

Kimberly said...

Well, you know about my history with depression. And I know that there is nothing better than having a great therapist! They will be your hero for the rest of your life! I still look back and wish that I could go visit Phil again (my therapist at BYU). I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this. It sounds like its been quite the ride! And the panic attacks! Wow, they are some of the worst things ever! I'm sure that your therapist has things that help you. My best advice is find the things that calm your mind in those moments. Mine were cold water and chocolate (I always kept a stash in my purse). Our prayers are with you and your family. And it sounds like it gets better after the pregnancy. We love you and are so excited to get these little cousins together! :)

Emily said...

Here's to the end of the first trimester! (I'm raising my glass.) Thank you for being brave enough to ask for help when you need it and even braver for sharing on your blog, which I know is read by and appreciated by so many. I think the more we talk about just how dang hard life can be sometimes, the better, esp when you always are able to find the faith in everything. I really admire that in you.

Sara said...

What an intense first trimester! Glad you made it through unscathed (relatively!). :) Here's to a healthy and happy remainder of your pregnancy!

Desmama said...

So many good comments have been written above, and mine would probably just be an echo of theirs. My third pregnancy started out with a VERY rough patch of depression. I felt like I was falling off a cliff, emotionally speaking. Fortunately, I did find a good therapist whose recommendations quite literally did save my life. I'm glad you've found a good one too. And I'm thrilled you're having a new little one--I think you're such a great mom and your two little boys will be the most adorable little brothers. So excited. Hang in there. Blog about it all and we'll probably be able to relate! :)

GR82BAMOM said...

Thank heavens it was not Fifth Disease! Oh, Lindsay...Thank you for sharing your feelings about your depression/blues. In my opinion, being a mom is a funny thing in that we are so ready to help at given moment, but rarely do we stop to look at ourselves and our basic needs. Few of us admit to feeling blue or depressed for fear of appearances. We feel like we must be that "Supermom" we think everyone expects us to be. I hope it has helped you writing it all down. I can relate, not to the pre-partum, but the post-partum depression. Leaving Brooklyn was bittersweet for me. Though I really do loved living there and actually miss it, I admit I was depressed during most of my time there, specifically after having Liam. Regretfully, I shut so many people out and lost many friendships that way. In retrospect, I too, should have sought help, but just muddled my way through it. So, I'm relieved to know you have sought professional help. And you have such great support system! Anyway, despite the rough year I've had, I think I am in a better place in my life right now. It certainly helps that Liam (soon to be five!) no longer requires every single minute of my time and attention. Wow. All this to say that you are doing a fantastic job as a mother and that you will feel better soon. Hugs.