wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

also growing

When Garrett got off the school bus yesterday, he was wearing an ice pack on his head. Apparently he injured himself trying to kiss two girls at once. I guess his teachers weren't kidding when they told me last week at parent teacher conferences that my child is a big flirt.

In other news from Garrett's world, he has learned how to write his name! I knew that his occupational therapist had been working with him to strengthen his underdeveloped fine motor skills, but it wasn't until a few days ago that I actually saw proof that he could independently write every letter of his name -- and in the correct order. (Up until now, he'd usually just sign his name with a bunch of Ts.) I love how his G is backwards and his E is upside down.


I occasionally catch myself just watching him, as he plays, as he's completely engrossed with a show he's watching, as he interacts with his brother, and it amazes me that this boy -- my first baby! -- is growing up, and quickly, too. He's kissing the girls (but the only person he currently makes cry is himself), he's learning to write, he's becoming more and more independent, and he reaches conclusions about the world around him that surprise me by how creative and insightful they are. He may be my first baby, but he's certainly not a baby anymore.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he's mature. He is still 4, after all.

No comments: