My hospital stay this time around felt shorter than the others because I only spent one night, though when you calculate the actual hours, it was really about the same. I was lucky to get the last private room available and more than willing to fork over the extra cost for this small luxury, especially since, now that our family has grown so, the extra space allowed for less stress when my little visitors came to meet their new brother.
Our weak attempt at a "family of six" shot.
My mom flew in the morning after Daniel was born, and she, too, was able to come visit her newest grandson in the hospital just in time for us both to be released. It was nice to have her company while we waited (and waited) for his circumcision to be done and followed-up on.
Grandma got to stay for almost a whole week, and it was wonderful having her here. We mostly took things slowly, but we did drive into Staten Island to check out the Fishs Eddy outlet store and to swing by Trader Joe's for some treats.
A few days before Daniel arrived, everyone in our family came down with miserable colds. Mine peaked in the few days that followed his birth, and I was absolutely miserable. Things are a lot better now, and thankfully Danny has been spared. Our misery aside, his health was our biggest concern. Blake told me, though, that he'd been making the issue a matter a fervent prayer, and subsequently felt an incredible peace that Danny would be fine. So far, so good, so I think I'll chalk this up to yet another miracle surrounding his birth.
My recovery has gone about as well as can be expected. I know I'm only ten days out, which is likely why my insides still feel all worn and misplaced, but I can't help but wonder if the shock of that crazy delivery has something to do with how crummy I feel most of the time. Every day is a little better, though, and I'm sure I'll be more fully back on my feet soon enough.
I can't wait forever, though. Real life resumes tomorrow. Blake has been home from work since Daniel came, but he goes back again tomorrow, and I will have to get up off the couch. I'm a little overwhelmed at the prospect of my new life with four little ones, but my new motto is One Day at a Time (and sometimes One Hour at a Time), and that makes it at least feel more manageable. Blake has been really helpful here at home, and in the last few days we've been able to tackle a few items on my looming to-do list that have been much easier to accomplish with his help.
Last Thursday was a bit of a reality check slap in the face, though. I was up early after a long, wakeful night with Danny trying to rouse his brothers for school. First I find that Caleb had gotten a bloody nose during the night and his bedding was in dire need of emergency laundering. Then, while in the kitchen getting breakfast ready, I discover that we again have another ant problem. (Arg! If I'm going to live on the 3rd floor, can we at least be spared ant invasions?) And just before the boys were due to head out the door to school, Garrett rushes to the bathroom and starts retching over the toilet. That turned out to be a bizarre false alarm, and he went to school anyway (and was ultimately just fine), but still: the morning was filled with one thing after another. To top it all off, my mom flew out that afternoon, adding to the rainy, overcast gloom of the day. When we got back from the airport, I retreated to my bedroom and completely gave in to this bout of baby blues. I'm feeling a little better now, thanks to One Day (Hour) at a Time, but my emotions are still pretty touch and and go.
Apparently I'm not the only one who sometimes wants to hide from it all.
Luckily the next day Danny's umbilical cord fell off so we had his first official bath to look forward to. It was a roaring success, even if he didn't think so. The other boys were fascinated and eager to watch and help, so we all squeezed into our pint-sized bathroom and to commemorate the occasion.
Our sweet, sweet Danny Boy is a joy. He loves to be swaddled, and is settling in to a sleepy routine of eating, diaper changes, and sleeping. So far he is still a fairly content baby, with the exception of those moments when life on the outside gets to be a bit too painful due to things like gas bubbles, hiccups, baths, and overly affectionate brothers. I hope it lasts, though, after three other colicky, reflux-riddled babies, I'm not holding my breath. But One Day at a Time, we'll take what we get and hope for the best.
Look! He has dark hair! It'll probably fall out and grow in blonde, but Daniel is by far our darkest one yet, so I imagine that it will eventually change back to dark as he grows older.
4 comments:
Oh I'm so glad you tell it like it is. Still choosing to have those sweet babies even though we know it's hard! Here's hoping the colic skips Danny. And you beat those baby blues into submission.
Oh my he's an absolute doll. I totally fell apart the day Peter went back to work...Connor decided not to nap and I was exhausted! Make sure to call a friend or someone to watch your kids so you get enough sleep in.
Sorry. Wrong google account :) Can't wait to meet the little guy!
Post a Comment