Matthew, approaching me with his empty dixie cup:
"More!"
Me:
"You want more pretzels?"
Matthew, nodding:
"Uh huh."
Me:
"Well, you already had some, and now they are put away, so no more. We're all done."
Matthew:
[Insert minor but adorable tantrum here.]
Me, apparently willing to bend at the slightest tug at my heartstrings:
"Well..... okay. Can you say please?"
Matthew, grinning and without hesitation:
"Bee!"
Oh man, how can I refuse that?! And as soon as I refilled his cup?
Matthew:
"Dee do!"
Which, as I'm sure you can deduce, is Matthew-ese for thank you.
As soon as I pulled out the camera, he posed and belted out a happy and hearty, "Cheeeese!"
I made a list the other day of all the words and small phrases Matthew now has and uses regularly at his command. It's primitive-sounding, as most toddler speak is, but it's consistent and understood. Compared (not that I'm comparing...well, okay, actually yes I am) to his two older speech therapy-receiving brothers, this list at this age is pretty impressive.
- Choo-choo
- Oh no
- Uh oh
- Mine
- Cracker
- Duck
- Quack quack
- More
- Banana
- Apple
- Mama
- Daddy
- Amen
- Car
- Ball
- Night-night
- Bye bye
- I did it
- Please
- Baby
- No
- Uh huh
- Eye
- Head
- Hat
- Hot
- Roar
- Thank you
- Book
- What's that/this?
- He did it!
- Dog
- Whee!
- Done
- Off
- Two
- Cheese
- P.U. (during diaper changes)
- Cloth
- Snoopy
- Ta da!
And it's growing daily!
Now I need to teach him how to say "Such fun!" because that's exactly what this is.
1 comment:
He's growing up so much! Hannah isn't talking nearly that much yet. She has her words, but most of them sound like "Mo" or "Bebee" (and they mean a large assortment of things). Maybe Matthew and Abby can rub off on her next month :).
Post a Comment