When I had Caleb evaluated at the school district for speech therapy services last summer, they also found that he had some sensory and fine motor skills issues that qualified him for occupational therapy as well. Seeing how much OT has helped Garrett, and noticing a few similarities between the two boys, we went ahead and accepted the additional services because at the time it felt right. And even though it's a pain to get him to his twice weekly OT sessions and make it home in time for his speech therapy, he's enjoyed himself and it's clear to me that he's benefited.
However, as I've watched him progress over the last several months, I've debated about whether or not I'd like him to continue receiving OT during his kindergarten year. He's come a long way; his fine motor skills have improved enough, in my view, to help him stay caught up at school, and we've learned how to manage his sensory issues. While he may not be "cured" (if such a thing is even possible), I think he's reached, or will reach, the point that it won't be helpful to pull him out unnecessarily from his kindergarten class. His speech therapy services, on the other hand, I fully plan to continue with. His speech is still very unclear, and correcting that is something I am not trained to do.
Recently Caleb's OT therapist noticed some additional quirks (walking on his toes rather than his heels, not alternating his feet on stairs, and an overall sense of imbalance) that would potentially require physical therapy and, with my permission, had a colleague do a basic screening. Her findings suggested that, in addition to a possible vision problem, he did indeed need PT.
The emphasis on need, however, was hers, not mine. My initial thought was, "How many therapists does one normal, if a little quirky, child need?!" followed closely by, "Is this a New York thing?" I'm totally fine with getting his vision checked out (after all, he is genetically doomed in that department), and that, in all honesty, might solve some of his balance issues. But therapy? Really? He's an adaptable boy who seems to be living a full and very happy life without it, but would I be inhibiting his potential by dismissing her advice?
So I followed up, and asked more questions, making sure to acknowledge her position as a professional. How necessary is therapy, truly? Isn't walking on his heels and alternating his feet on stairs something we can easily teach him at home? I also raised my concern that, given Caleb's personality, I thought that his being constantly pulled out of his classroom for services would be more detrimental than helpful. (And, knowing full well my own limits, I don't have the time or energy to pursue services outside of school hours.) She told me that, sure, there were things we could "fix" at home, but it was the underlying issues she was mainly concerned about. Issues, my gut feels the need to chime in, that were never a "problem" before now.
Ultimately the ball is my court. They say that they have enough evidence to easily qualify him for these additional services; I just need to call the special education coordinator at the district to get things moving. On the one hand, I don't want to dismiss this if there really is a need (and there may indeed be a real need if he'd so easily qualify) -- but on the other hand, her opinion, though professional, is also slightly biased; whoever provides the services gets paid to do so. Even the "free" services offered through the schools are given funding from the state to provide them, and, I'm told, every head counts.
It's all making my own head spin. It's hard to make big decisions so far in advance without being able to fully understand the long-term implications.
My gut, which I usually trust, since it's also usually backed by prayer, tells me to refuse the services, and ultimately that's probably what we'll choose to do. After all, downsizing services for our "normal" (all things considered) -- and thriving! -- child so he can continue to move forward in a more mainstream environment seems like a good way to go, especially for a personality like Caleb.
But still I hesitate. Is it the right choice?
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Follow your gut - especially with another baby on its way. Mother's know their children. For the record, I still walk on my tip toes. As does my daughter. And I never had PT.
Therapy is a hard thing. I think it is definitely necessary but I also think there is a point of "good enough". I have a friend who had a preemie and he's been getting all sorts of therapies since birth. He functions very well but my friend continues to fight for services and I think it just might have the potential to become a crutch. I'd say, see how it goes. If your gut is telling you not to worry about it then don't at this point. You can always revisit the issue later in the year, if the problems don't get any better.
Momma's know best is what I have grown to live by. As someone who knows a little bit about being imbalanced, getting one's eyes and ears check would be the right place to start. Sometimes it's just simple as getting eyeglasses or one's ears cleaned/tubes in that will resolve the problem. I think you'll know in a few months if he truly "needs" PT if things don't improve after getting eyeglasses. I mention the ear thing because that is something that happened with one of my students. She was walking on her toes and very accident prone. After she got eyeglasses and some type of surgery on her ears she was just fine.I also know when I need to get my eyes and ears checked because I start to do the same things. Good luck! Sometimes these decisions are overwhelming to make but follow your Mother's Intuition and whatever promptings Heavenly Father gives you.
That is a tough call. I definitely agree on the eyes and ears thing. Society has definitely bent more towards every child needing therapy and medications for so many random things that it truly is a crutch. However, I always cringe when I hear people say that "Mother knows best" because as a mother, we do not know everything. We can definitely receive inspiration, but we do not always know and do the best things for our children. Just take a look around. Every mother out there thinks that they are doing what is best and there are so many screwed up kids and families out there. Not saying that the doctors and therapists always know best either. But every opinion needs to be taken into consideration. That being said, you are a great mother. My opinion is to take it one step at a time. Start with the eyes and ears thing and then move forward as things are "needed". Several people have commented that they still walk on their toes and such. So, if you think that it will be an embarrassment or problem to him later in life then pursue it. But if you think that it's still in normal range, let it rest for a while.
Go with your gut. All the way.
My gut has yet to steer me wrong... I say go with your gut.
You are a thoughtful, insightful mother. Your prayers are definitely heard and you will be guided! You are also a gifted educator (I have seen with the primary children). You can do this if you choose! Go! Teach! Win! :)
Zach was developmentally delayed as an almost toddler. He didn't walk until he was just shy of 18 months old. My doctor recommended an evaluation and I did that. When I got the paperwork and saw the word "retarded" to describe him, I just completely dropped it. I started taking him to the mall playground at least twice a week and just let him play in a safe, padded area.
He seems fine now. I went with my gut, Lindsey. He is fine. Go with your gut. A mother who is in tune with the spirit is always going to do the right thing for their kid. I firmly believe that. Whatever choice you make, Caleb is going to be fine becuase he has two parents who love him very much.
Post a Comment