wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, June 7, 2013

brooklyn day


Yesterday was Brooklyn Day, and Garrett had the day off school. After a morning spent taking care of chores at home, with a few [hilarious] lessons on how to play Checkers squeezed in between, we headed into Manhattan so that I could participate in the Brooklyn Stake Temple Day. Blake, who had been at the temple all morning, traded places with me and took the boys to a playground in nearby Central Park to play.


Reports from Blake, in addition to the photos he took, lead me to believe that everyone had a great time -- especially once Matthew warmed up to the sand.

But the real fun began after they left the playground. One block north of the temple are the studios for Channel 7 Eyewitness News -- tied with ABC World News for Garrett's favorite new source (yes, my 5-year-old likes to watch the news. Doesn't yours?). They were just beginning their 4:00 broadcast when the boys walked by, and Garrett, with his face pressed against the glass, couldn't get enough. One of the news anchors even waved to him, which put him on cloud nine. After Blake was finally able to pry him away from the windows, they saw the weatherman broadcasting his teaser outside on the sidewalk. Garrett, whose latest career dream is to be a broadcast meteorologist, was nearly jumping out of his shoes with excitement when, moments later, I met them outside the temple. It's the little things, folks.


The only way a day like this could be topped would be with pizza for dinner, which, thanks to how much time I spent in the kitchen in the morning, I was "magically" able to put on the table shortly after we got home. (Just call me Super Mom.)

And then the boys, who were so worn out from all this fun, went to bed at 7:00 (!!!). It was, I dare say, a very good day to live in Brooklyn.

4 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Garrett reminds me so much of my nephew who loves the weather, reads the newspapers, and asked for a GPS for his 6th birthday. Too cute!

heath said...

I love that a meteorologist is like unto a hero for Garrett. What an awesome kid. Sounds like a fun day.

Emily said...

Go Super Mom! I imagine it's days like these that you'll miss when you finally (ever?) leave Brooklyn.

JoEllen said...

Brooklyn Day!? Super fun!

I love the sand pictures! It's so fun to watch babies discover new things, like sand! Yay!