wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, June 30, 2013

now he is six

 

Dear Garrett,

You have been anxiously waiting for this day, and now it is finally here. Happy birthday, my sweet six-year-old! I think the words of A. A. Milne accurately describe how you feel about turning six:
Now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now forever and ever.

And you are a clever boy, Garrett. You are always observing and figuring and putting things together, and you have some pretty incredible ideas about the way the world works. You are also very funny and make me laugh many times a day. A few days ago you finished your kindergarten year, and over the last few months you've learned how to read! What an accomplishment! And one that has opened so many exciting doors for you.

You have grown into a very friendly boy. Whenever we go to the park, you quickly find a new friend. Your happiness and imagination are contagious, and you are rarely without a gaggle of other children happily running around the playground.

Your laughter and creativity light up my days. Your sensitivity and thoughtfulness help me to sleep more comfortably each night. You are a kind big brother, and, for the most part, eager to please your parents. And you are one heck of a dancer. You are a good boy, and I am so proud of you and the choices you make every day. Keep on this path, Garrett, and wonderful blessings will be yours as you continue to grow.

I love you, Garrett, more than I can ever adequately express in words. I love that you still snuggle with me. And I love that you need me as much as I need you.

Love,
Mom

 Six candles.

 His very own authentic SeaWorld "Shampoo" whale -- 
best. Present. EVER!

5 comments:

Amy F. P. said...

Wow. I can't believe Garret is six already! Looks like it was a fun birthday.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to know he is growing so well with your love! yeah, he looks so cleaver and happy boy!!! He is not toddler boy anymore!
I miss Garrett's growing, smile and his talk!!
Lindsay, you are amazing mother and writer! I just love your blog.

Happy Birthday Garrett!!!

Emily said...

Wow. Six! And to think we first met him when he was just a few months old. Wish him a happy birthday from Elizabeth, the triplets, and their mom and dad.

heath said...

Ha, the pure joy on his face in that first picture with the whale is just awesome. Happy birthday to Garrett!

MOMster said...

Happy birthday Garrett!!! It's hard to believe he's six already!