He has his education to thank as well. His classmates hail -- and many not too distantly -- from all over the world: Egypt, Ireland, Italy (a lot of Italy), Colombia, Brazil, Palestine, China, to name a few. He's learning from his friends that to come from another country or to speak another language at home is not something to shun but to be excited about.
Yesterday at his school all of the kindergarten classes put on a small cultural celebration for the parents. Each class had prepared a song to perform; Garrett's class sang "New York, New York," accompanied by the famous Frank Sinatra recording. It was adorable -- and hilarious, false start and all.
video shot and shared by "Wayne's mom," Julie
Later in his classroom we feasted on food from around the world, which had been prepared and contributed by his classmates' families. Plantains, Italian meatballs, mango pudding, homemade hummus and pita bread -- everything was delicious and just exotic enough to appease both young and old.
What a privilege it is, I think, for Garrett to be introduced to the wider world from such a young age, even if he sometimes confuses cultures and cancer. It will serve him well throughout his entire life.
4 comments:
I LOVE this. LOVE it.
That is hilarious! I love it!
That video is awesome. And I love that Garrett has a point of reference for what a Lebanese scarf is. What an interesting place to grow up--I'm sure it will serve him well throughout his life.
I love the video. My school just had their annual spring fling-music and dance performance yesterday. I think children singing is just so classic. There's always a few who really get into it and then there's a few who just stand there looking lost. All are super cute. Thanks for sharing the video.
Post a Comment